39. Jemma

Humming the bridal march, I took a few pictures of Natasha. While both Steve and Natasha would have preferred that I took all of the pictures for the wedding, my bridesmaid status prevented that. Peter took over the photos that I couldn't get: bridal party shots, the actual wedding, etc. I did, however, get an adorable picture of Clint seeing his daughter in her flower girl dress before the ceremony.

The time for everyone to walk in came. The preacher guy went first. Then Dad followed by Bucky and Sam. I was the last to walk before the flower girl. When we got settled, Lila walked down the aisle throwing flower petals before she stood by me. The doors to the church opened to reveal and glowing Natasha. Clint stood in place of her father and gave her away before taking his rightful place as maid of honor.

I tried to look interested during the vows, but frankly, I wrote them. Both of them had a difficult time of wording what they wanted to say, so I assisted them. Natasha's talked about how she realized she truly loved him when they ended up on opposing sides of a disagreement, and changed her mind just to be with Steve. His was something about a mission they had years ago and they went undercover as romantic partners. Both cute stories when not about your parents. I honestly feel that I would love their relationship if they weren't my parents.

Then they kissed. Whoop-dee-doo. They did that everyday at home. Steve and Natasha ran down the aisle followed by Clint and Lila. Bucky and Sam were next, then me all by myself. Well, I was supposed to be all by myself. Peter hopped up from his photograph taking spot to walk with me.

"You're such a sweet boyfriend," I smiled, giving him a tiny kiss on the cheek.

"I know," he chuckled, adjusting his tie. "I try."

~.~.~

Between the ceremony and reception, I changed into white jeans and a grey tee shirt. I know. It was boring but extremely comfortable, which made for great dancing clothes. Knowing my father, I was going to be forced to dance multiple times. 

When my parents entered the room, I was sitting at the "kids' table" (it was Henry, Wanda, Beatrix, Peter, and I, but because we weren't adults, it was immediately labeled the "kids' table").  Steve proceeded to lead Tasha in a sappy slow dance while One Step Ahead  by A Great Big World filled the room.  Again, it would have been cute if it wasn't my parents.

Then Valerie played. Even though she was thirty-seven weeks pregnant, Beatrix pulled me on the dance floor. She awkwardly attempted to grind on me and failed miserably while I stood there laughing. I looked at Peter, hoping he would rescuse me, but he just seemed angry. A few songs later, Without You filled the room. That got Peter out of his seat.

"May I cut in?" he asked Beatrix before she had a chance to begin slow dancing with me. She nodded and waddled back to her seat. Peter took my waist but looked off in the distance, refusing to meet my eyes.

"Are you okay, babe?" I questioned. "You've been in a mood lately. I am your girlfriend. Talk to me."

"I just sometimes get the feeling that you don't love me as much as I love you," Peter sighed. "I know you're going to say that you do, but how do I know?"

He still wouldn't look at me. I cupped my hand under his chin and made him face me.

"Can you not tell in the way I look at you?" I scoffed.

Peter shook his head. "When I look in your eyes, I see the same look Henry gives Wanda. You want to love me, and you try, but you don't because you love someone else. You love Bea. You look at her the same way you used to look at me. The way that I look at you. I don't know what to do anymore, Jemma," he sighed.