34. Jemma

Wedding dress stores. Everyone there always seems to have unlimited money or the willingness to be in debt for the rest of their lives. All for one night. One party that you probably won't remember because you were so drunk. The more I thought about it, the more depressing it seemed.

"Natasha," I whispered, "please don't spend three million dollars on your wed-"

"Tony's paying for it," she said through gritted teeth as an employee walked up to us. "But don't let her know."

"Hello, there! I'm Vanessa. Are you Natasha?" she asked me.

"No. The ginger is," I chuckled. "I'm the step-daughter."

"My apologies! Who do we have with us today?" she smiled. Geez. Kill me now.

"My maid of honor, flower girl, and bridesmaid," Natasha awkwardly mumbled. Clint- maid of honor. Lila- flower girl. Me- bridesmaid.

"Okay then! I have a room set up in the back, and your party can wait there while we go pull some dresses," Vanessa smiled.

I rolled my eyes as I was forced into an enclosed space with an old man and a small child. Laying across the floor, Lila began stretching. It hurt me just watching her as she slid into the splits and laid flat on her stomach.

"Dad, will you do the-" Lila asked.

"Nope. Not again," Clint denied. "Ask Jemma."

"Jemma, will you please help me stretch?" she begged, giving me the puppy dog eyes.

"It beats looking at bridal magazines," I chuckled.

"Thanks, Jemma."

I sat on the ground after kicking off my heels. Copying what Lila did, I opened my legs in a straddle, though I was way less flexible than her. She then placed our feet together, grabbed my hands and laid on her back. When she sat up, I laid down. Pain roared through my legs, but it felt good.

"Okay. Wrong day to wear skinny jeans," I laughed as I curled into a ball.

Lila chuckled as she continued stretching. Clint turned to me.

"You good, kid?" he laughed.

Well, when my boyfriend first got back from Paris, I was getting laid all the time, but since he started school again, he's been studying non stop to catch up. I am suffering from lack of sex, I thought. Also, I'm on my period.

"Yeah, no. I'm fine," I scoffed.

Luckily, Natasha rounded the corner in her first dress. It was white and long. Then she showed us one that was white and short. Then one that was slightly off white and medium length. I didn't see much of a difference between them, honestly.

Then something ridiculous happened. Vanessa made Lila and I try on dresses. They were all red and matching, and I was not in the mood. At all. I made a mental note to punch Natasha when we got home. Or ask Clint to do it so she can't kill me.

~.~.~

After the dress appointment brought on just as many suicide thoughts as the actual appointment. Peter and Beatrix were at a doctor's appointment, Steve and Bucky were out doing who knows what, Henry's time was monopolized by Wanda, my phone died, Natasha had my charger and the only thing left to occupy my time was my foot. I gave myself a mani/pedi, curled my hair, made chocolate chip cookies from scratch, ate about sixteen of said cookies, drank a cherry coke, and watched an episode of SNL before anyone came home. And it was May.

"Jemma, sweetie, Peter wanted me to invite you upstairs for dinner. He said you weren't answering your phone," she smiled.

"Yeah. Sorry. Um, my phone died, and Tasha has my charger. I'll be up in a minute," I sighed. May left and I bagged up some of the cookies before bursting into the apartment. Beatrix and Peter was sitting on the couch laughing over the television. I ran over and laid in their laps.

"I'm here," I announced.

"I'm queer," Beatrix laughed.

"And I'm Spiderman. So what?" Peter chuckled.

I rolled my eyes as I shimmied my way between them.

"What are you, the pda police?" Beatrix chuckled.

In response, I flung my feet across Peter and kissed him quite obnoxiously. "No. I'm the keep your mitts off my boyfriend police," I joked.

"Well, if that's the case, I may as well go home." Beatrix stood up, fake cried, then walked out the door.

"That's new," I noticed.

"Bea and Jane recently made up. She moved back in last week," Peter explained. His fingers lazily ran through my hair, relaxing me. In a daze, my head rested on his chest. The soft beat of his heart did not make matters any better.

"That little ass. She didn't tell me any of this," I yawned.

"Between school, and doctor's appointments, and birthing classes, we've been a bit busy," Peter sighed. "And you have been a bit occupied with the nursery and looking for Lilith. Is she still in Time's Square?"

"Mm-mm. Central Park, but she's heading towards Manhattan any day now."

"Jemma?"

"Hmmm..."

I barely heard the words, "Dinner's ready," escape his lips before I fell asleep.