7. Jemma

I wonder if Henry and Wanda are dating. I mean, she is sitting awfully close to him, and Henry's hand is on her knee... But he always does that with me, I thought.

"Hey, how close are you with Wanda?" I asked, turning to Beatrix. Peter insisted that we hang out because his best friend and his girlfriend should probably get along. I mean, it made sense. He couldn't possibly have fun ever if the two people he spent the most time with tried to kill each other every time they were together... Which is why we met at a booth in Granny's... With Natasha and Clint ready to break up a fight if needed. You know, considering that the last time we were together Beatrix punched down a tree, nothing was set there without reason.

"She's like my closest friend after Peter. While we didn't grow up together like Peter and I did, Wanda and I are really close," Beatrix said quite quickly.

"Is she dating Henry?" I asked, a tad uncomfortable.

"Yeah, why? Are you really in love with him and you want to dump Peter to be with him?" she asked, extremely excited, but part of me believe she was being sarcastic.

"No. He's my best friend and I love him, but no. I guess I'm just a bit offended that he wouldn't tell me about his first girlfriend. I mean, we have been best friends since preschool," I ranted.

"Oh my goodness, I know! Why wouldn't Peter tell me about you? Or that we were broken up for that matter?" Beatrix scoffed. "But that's fine!"

"You were in an alternate dimension for half a year. He thought you weren't coming back. If it was him instead of you, tell me you honestly wouldn't have done the same thing," I smiled sincerely, looking right in Beatrix's eyes.

"Yeah, I guess. I mean, who wouldn't fall for a hot blonde like you?" Beatrix laughed and I swear, for a moment her hair flashed bubblegum pink.

"You'd be surprised," I smirked.

Just then, Beatrix leaned over the table, but I pulled back. "Listen, if I wasn't with Peter right now, I would totally go for that kiss. Unfortunately..."

"You're dating my best friend," Beatrix finished. "I get it. I was out of line. You should probably get back to the church so I can tell Peter what a jerk of a best friend I am for hitting on his girlfriend. I'll send him your way when I'm done getting murdered."

"Yeah," I sighed. "Um, I-I guess I'll see you later."

While Beatrix slipped out of the diner, Natasha took her place. "Okay, what just happened with you two? I was told to break up any potential fights, not stop a budding romance."

"It was nothing. Beatrix hit on me. She's going to clear it up with Peter now. It's no big deal." I picked up my cup and started drowning my words in cherry coke.

"Sure. Okay. Can I walk you home? We can talk then with maybe a little more privacy," Nat said.

I left some cash on the table for my snack with Beatrix before following Nat out of the diner. That day, her violently red hair matched her bright red shirt that peeked out from under her black leather jacket; her heeled combat boots gave her the few extra inches to tower over me. If Natasha didn't intimidate me before, her being taller than me certainly did.

"I've known Peter for a few years now. He's kinda like my baby brother. If you keep flirting with his best friend behind his back, I will end you," Natasha glared. Before I could act scared, she started laughing. "I'm kidding. Even a deadly assassin can joke sometimes."

"Of course you can," I smiled. "Those assassin jokes must be why Steve is absolutely in love with you."

"Maybe it's a little bit more than that. I mean, I would hope that my boyfriend of almost three years is with me for more than my sense of humor," Natasha smiled.

As we walked, the sun began to set. The light crawled across the top of the buildings and hit me right in the eyes. I pulled my hoodie over my eyes to shield the sun from my eyes. Well, it was Peter's hoodie, but that doesn't matter

"I wouldn't know. Peter's my first real boyfriend," I admitted, "and we've only been together for like two months."

"Really? But you're so pretty. How can you not have had a boyfriend?" Nat chuckled.

"Not many people are eager to approach the girl who lives in the church and was abused as a child. Trust me," I sighed. I turned to face the church. "I should go. I'll see you later, Natasha."

"Bye."

~.~.~

Late night study sessions! Whoo! Also known as I was binge watching Doctor Who until 10:30 before I remembered that one-hundred point exam for my AP World class. Mid terms: the devil in disguise. Just as I finally drilled something about nobody... who was I kidding? It was too late for me to focus... And it should have been too late for anyone to sneak into  window. I turned around to find Peter crawling through the window.

"What are you doing?" I gasped. "Mother Superior could walk in any minite!"

"Its three in the morning. I think you're safe," Peter smiled. The only light in my room was the shining of my laptop screen as well as a flickering street light that came in through the window. In other words, it was dark, but I could still see Peter's friendly smile and messy brown hair that reminded me of... Well... It reminded me of Henry. They both were so happy with whatever life threw their way. Of course, Henry did have the occasional family issue that stressed him out, but he always remained his happy self. I guess that's why I love him so much... As a friend. As a brother.

"You okay?" Peter asked. As he sat next to me on my tiny purple bed, he pressed a kiss to the top of my head and wrapped his arms around me.

"I guess I was just realizing how alike you and Henry are. But that's a good thing, right? My best friend and my boyfriend. It just spooked me for a moment," I sighed.

With Peter holding me close, everything felt right, except one thing. I expected his nice, familiar smell of the fancy scented laundry detergent, but an odd flowery odor had replaced it. It wasn't Bea's perfume or anything. No, she smelled fruity like apples and lemons. This smelled like Mary Margaret.

"Did Mary Margaret do you laundry?" I whispered.

"Maybe," Peter chuckled. "I've stayed over there a few times with Henry because Clint needs his space. She seems like the person to just do everyone's laundry."

"She is," I glared. "Wait, did you shower over there?"

"Why?"

"Because as much as I love her, Mary Margaret is a living flowery bath bomb that turns everything she touches into flowery scented candles. Be careful," I warned.

"Okay, Jemma, sweetheart, how long have you been awake and how much coffee have you had?"

I couldn't remember, so I just fell asleep. Right there. I closed my laptop and laid down. The second my face hit the pillow, I was out like a light. I fell asleep right on top of Peter which punished me that next morning.

I woke up to my ringtone: Bill Nye the Science Guy's theme song. Being too utterly tired to open my eyes, I felt around my bed until I grabbed my phone and slid the answer call button.

"Hmm?" I groggily grunted.

"Do you have any idea where Peter is? Mr. Barton woke up this morning and he was gone. And he won't answer his phone!" A shrill voice shrieked. Ugh. The Superior pain in the neck.

"Hold on." I opened one eye and looked around my room. Not on the floor or the wall or the ceiling. "Nope. Don't know. Did he check with the Charmings? Peter said he's there often."

"No," she huffed. "I'll get back to you. And go back to sleep its only 4:30."

"Why does Clint wake up so early?" I sighed as I hung up the phone. I double checked my room for my boyfriend and I found a note sticking out of my computer. I'll be back around 6:30 to take you for donuts and coffee before school. Granny made them fresh and promised me two chocolate ones. If you need me, I'll be at the Charmings. Peter.

I knew my boyfriend so well.