32. Jemma

Any chance I get to be with my best friend, I will take. Between searching for Lilith, trying to maintain a healthy relationship with my boyfriend miles away and my family a world away, helping my parents plan their wedding and shop for a child, and comforting my depressed friend with child, Henry seemed to get pushed to the back burner... Along with my photography, secret beauty guru skills, and will to live. Just kidding about that last one... Maybe.

Little Italy. It was a side of the city that I had yet to explore, so when Henry invited me to a late lunch with him, I jumped at the chance. Of course, his girlfriend was gonna be there, and they wanted me to take couple pictures of them at the restaurant... But being with Henry was being with Henry.

The restaurant was cute. There were booths along one wall as well as some bar stools along the other. Henry and Wanda sat in the stools talking to an awkward Italian boy. I took my place next to them.

"Jemma," Henry greeted, "this is Milo. He's a friend from school. Milo, this is my best friend Jemma."

Milo smiled gawkily before he took our orders. None of us got anything too heavy to eat because we honestly all ate lunch at actual lunch time. Not at four when school got out. A few moments passed before Milo brought us garlic knots, cheese and prosciutto bites, and canolis.

I'd never had a canoli, so that was the first thing that I tried. It was underwhelming.

I don't like it. I tapped on Henry's leg.

I figured. It has raisins in it.

Thanks for letting me know.

"What are you two doing?" Wanda asked, a twinge of jealousy cracking her voice.

"Morse code. We learned it when we were little so people wouldn't listen in on our conversations," Henry chuckled. "By now its just a habit we have."

She's so needy, I joked.

You're telling me.

By the look in his eyes, something told me he was not joking.

The awkward silence was thankfully broken by Valerie erupting from my purse.

"Hello, Beatrix," I greeted, taking a few steps away. My fingers trailed to the locket that she got me.

"Um, Jemma, where are you right now?" she sniffled.

Crap. She was crying. Maybe not at that moment, but she had been.

"I'm on my way home from lunch with Henry. What's going on?"

I tapped on Henry's shoulder. Gtg. Beatrix emergency.

He nodded as I ran off. The restaurant was only a few blocks from my apartment, so I just walked.

"Some girl at school. Gods of Asgard, I would fight her if it weren't for this God damn baby," Beatrix ranted.

"Language," I teased.

"Fuck you."

"Hey, I'll be at my house in like five minutes. Meet me there?" I asked.

"Of course," Beatrix promised.

~.~.~

When I walked in my house, Beatrix was waiting on the couch in her socks. The tv, tuned to Gossip Girl, blared.

"Sure. Make yourself at home," I scoffed.

"I practically live here anyways," Beatrix teased.

"Come on, loser. We're getting coffee."

"You said 'Get in, loser. We're going shopping' wrong," she criticized.

"Fight me."

"Gladly."

~.~.~

"You know, you should probably stop drinking coffee now that you're pregnant," I lovingly scolded.

"You're the one who brought me here. Besides, I switched to decaf," Beatrix lied.

"Mhmm."

Our spot in line reached the front as I heard the barista call for the next in line.

"One medium peppermint mocha with two shots of espresso and one small black coffee with cinnamon," I ordered.

Before I could pay, my phone rang. It was Steve.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked as Beatrix payed for the coffee.

"Where are you?"

"Getting coffee with Beatrix. Why?"

"You need to get home as soon as possible. I have a surprise for you."

"A good surprise or bad surprise?" I chuckled.

"I do not know. I'll see you in a little bit," Steve said, hanging up on me.

"Well that was odd," I sighed, turning to Beatrix as she handed me my coffee.

"What?" she laughed.

"Steve said he needs me home, but he won't tell me why..." My voice faded as realization struck my mind. Beatrix must have had the same epiphany because we exchanged looks of excitement and neither of us had an issue running the whole way home.

I burst in the apartment, a little winded, but jittery with high hopes.

What if my expectations are wrong? What if its a bad surprise? What if...?

My mind trailed as anxiety took the reigns. It wasn't until Beatrix gently placed her hand on my shoulder that I was shocked back into reality.

"STEVE, I'M HOME," I called, but nothing happened. Not for a moment at least.

Beatrix grabbed my hand and led me to room. My favorite black dress was laid out on the bed along with a tan leather jacket, a plaid scarf, and some brown booties that I had never seen before. There was a little note tucked under it all.

Put this on. Your parents will know what to do next.

"Oh my gosh. I know its Valentine's Day, but this is a lot," I giggled.

I changed really quickly, tucking my locket under the dress.

"I know, its not my mom's locket. But its the closest thing I have. I took that off once and left it in another dimension," I explained.

"Its your necklace. I wasn't saying anything," Beatrix promised. "I was thinking it, but I wasn't gonna say anything."

"Oh, shut up," I scoffed. "You only offered to show me the clothes so you can see me in my underwear."

"I am neither confirming nor denying that," Beatrix blushed. She never blushed.

"Oh, come on, now. Its not like you didn't enjoy it," I teased.

Flustered, Beatrix licked her lips and handed me some black tights. "Its cold out. You'll want your legs covered."

"Thanks. What color lipstick should I wear?" I asked, slipping on the tights. She handed me the soft pink liquid lipstick that I wore nearly everyday. "Really?"

"It works for you," Beatrix smirked.

I put it on. The rest of my makeup was done from going out with Henry, but my lipstick had worn off.

"Anything else I need?" I spun around in a circle in order to show off my outfit.

"Well I would think that Peter already has it," she winked, and I muttered under my breath, "Actually I kinda do."

"Jemma, I love you, but I don't really want to know the gory details of your relationship with the closest thing I have to a brother," Beatrix pleaded.

"Fine," I sighed. "I'm gonna go now."

"Have fun," she called, "but not too much fun."

"Okay, Mom."