19. Natasha

Teenage pregnancy was the last thing I ever thought that I would have to deal with. Mostly because I could never have kids and until a few months before, my boyfriend was childless, but its always the surprises in life that stick out. After Peter and Bea were whispering and running out of our apartment, Steve stood in our kitchen looking confused.

"What's going on with them?" he chuckled.

"I'll tell you in a second," I promised, gesturing to the menstruating teenager on our couch. "Jemma, do you want some Benadryl so you can try to sleep off the pain?"

"I'll try anything at this point," she groaned, burying her face under couch cushions.

I grabbed some of the tiny pink pills from the medicine cabinet before bringing them to Jemma. She took them before groaning in pain again. Let me say now that I am glad I don't have to deal with that.

When I returned to the kitchen, Steve had left. I correctly assumed that he was in bed, so I changed into one of his old shirts and slid under the covers next to him. He was on his phone, and I wanted attention. My toes were cold, but Steve's legs felt so comfortably warm that I couldn't resist using them as my own personal toe warmers... Even though that's Steve's least favorite thing on the planet.

"Nat, if you put your feet on me one more time, I swear I'll tickle you," Steve huffed.

"I'm not ticklish," I protested, even though we both knew that that was a lie. The real reason why I always wear boots is because my feet are incredibly ticklish, not because they look cool.

"Really? After three years, you're still pretending? Sometimes I don't understand you."

"Yeah. But you love me."

"I do love you. With all my heart," he smiled, putting his phone down to kiss me. "Now, are you going to tell me what the teenage drama in our living room was?"

"Okay. Beatrix is pregnant with Peter's baby, but they're parents don't know. I found out by accident," I began.

"Oh my goodness. This is such high school drama," Steve laughed.

"That's what you asked for," I scoffed. "And there's more. Beatrix, the most stubborn person in the world, is dead set on giving the baby up for adoption, but Peter has his heart set on raising his baby. I can only assume that this is what they're talking about at Peter's."

"What if a couple that they knew really well that lived downstairs and would be willing to let them still be in the baby's life adopted the baby? That way Peter could still be close with the baby and Beatrix can rid her mind of any anxieties that come with raising a baby," Steve said.

"Steve, what are you suggesting?"

I knew very well what he was suggesting, but a part of me was hoping that he was kidding.

"I'm not saying that we have to, but what if we adopted the baby? I don't want to pressure you into anything, but I've been thinking about babies a lot lately. I wasn't sure how to bring it all up until now..."

"You've been thinking a lot about babies lately?" I asked, shocked. We agreed a while ago, no kids. Jemma I can handle. She's practically grown up and just living here to be with her dad. But a baby?

"Its the whole Jemma thing. I know my daughter, but I never got to raise her. I'm stepping into her life fifteen years after everyone else has had a chance to be with her. I want to be able to say that I've raised my kids, not just lived with them."

"Keep talking. I want to try and figure out what's going on in your head."

"Its that relationship that Bea has with Jane, Peter with May or even Henry with all of his family. I want that bond with someone that comes when you take care of a child from when they're this big," Steve passionately rambled, as he held his hands a little less than a foot apart.

"Okay, I'll think about it," I sighed. Steve suddenly became overwhelmed with excitement, but before that could go to far, I added, "But I make no promises."

"That's good enough for me. Thank you. I love you, Nat."

"I love you, too, Steve."