3. Jemma

Ugh. Libraries. The books were always so worn and beaten up. I preferred bookstores. Of course, I was grateful that Belle allowed us to use the library as a research center. Mother Superior would kill me without going to Confession if she found out I was helping a god other than the Father, Son, or Holy Ghost. Henry and I ran around like madmen, scouring the shelves for even a clue on how to get someone from the Enchanted Forest without casting a dark curse or having a mad hatter handy. I mean, he was available, but also completely insane. Any book we found was passed onto Mary Margaret, David, Steve, or Belle. Although Steve had been a bit distracted by his phone for the past... Oh I don't know... forty-five minutes? Apparently, it was a very important phone call, and he had been making that I'm insanely worried face ever since the little box rang. Thankfully, he hung up just as I came across something good. His face, however, was distant and filled with worry.

"Mr. Rodgers, look at this," I said, handing him a book about different potions,in an attempt to distract him."This one can transform an object into a portal. The only problem is, the object needs to be something of personal value to whomever uses it. And it takes nine weeks to brew."

"I think I may have something," Steve said, pulling something out from under his shirt. "My dog tags from the army. Here."

He forced the dirty metal tags into my hands. "The object disappears after a round trip," I added, giving him the tags back. "Maybe we should wait until Thor and Ms. Foster get here before we make any final decisions."

"That sounds like a good idea," Mary Margaret sighed. "Why don't we take a break and head over to Granny's for lunch?"

We all agreed so we headed down the street. The grown ups all got a booth near the rear of the diner, but Henry and I sat at the counter. Ruby came by with my cherry coke and Henry's raspberry lemonade.

"Should I get your usual lunch orders?" she asked.

"Hmm. I'm craving a grilled cheese and chocolate chip cookie today," I smiled, taking a sip of my drink.

Just then, Thor and Jane walked into Granny's. Ruby walked over to them, and pulled another table up for them before coming back to take Henry's order. "And you?"

"Can I just get a burger?" he smiled as the door opened, yet again. The whole diner turned.

I found a petite, yet strong, woman with fiery red hair standing at the door. There was a small scar on her forehead, but it was covered by a few stray curls. From her brown combat boots and leather jacket, to her sky blue skinny jeans and red tee, everything about her was unforgettable.

"Is that Black Widow?" Henry whispered as Steve stood up and rushed to give her a hug.

"Nat," he sighed.

Natasha stood on her tippy toes and gave Steve a kiss which made him blush a violent shade of crimson. Someone wasn't a fan of PDA. She kissed him one more time for good measure before she hugged him again.

"But Tony called me and said you went missing in Russia. I thought you weren't coming back," Steve said, absolutely amazed.

"Come on. I kicked the Russian's butts and left after a day. Tony doesn't know half of what I'm capable of," Natasha laughed.

"I'm just happy to see you again."

After that, everyone went back to their own business. Ruby brought out our sandwiches. I sighed and laid my head on Henry's shoulder.

"What?" he chuckled.

"Nothing. Everything feels so right. The potion. Steve and Natasha. For once, there's nothing bad," I smiled.

I spoke too soon.

~.~.~

Wanda showed up the day after Natasha and Jane. Tony blamed his not showing up on helping with James' physical therapy... It had been a year since he got injured. Everyone guessed Pepper still wouldn't give him a second look, which was fine. Tony was kind of a jerk. I was too focused on a very interesting situation: Steve and Natasha "attempting" to put their relationship to the side while searching for Beatrix. It got to the point where, in an attempt to separate the lovebirds, Mary Margaret and David decided to split the genders. The girls stayed at the library, but the boys went out to do who knows what.

I sat in a YA aisle away from all of the adults because it was all sorts of crazy. Everyone was looking for a way to somehow get Beatrix back because no one was liking my treasured possession idea. Wanda's telekinesis flew about as she plowed through book after book. Regina and Emma stood in a corner trying anything that might possibly work. Mary Margaret, Natasha, and Jane were scouring the shelves for clues. I just smiled while turning the pages of The Selection until a nice warmth came on my knee. Startled, I looked up to find Jane "The Bae" Foster trying to get my attention.

"Oh my holy flipping hammer," I jumped.

"Hey. Respect the hammer," Jane teased. I gave a soft smile and put my book down, welcoming my literal hero to my world. "Why are you so quiet? I saw you with your boyfriend the other day. You seemed so light and bubbly. You okay?"

"Boyfriend?" I asked, genuinely confused about the situation. It took me a minute, but I got it. "Oh. You mean Henry. He's not my boyfriend. He's been my best friend since we were 1774. Our friendship is so strong, we must have been best friends in several past lives."

"Gotcha. Listen, the adults were talking about running down to the beach for a little bit to meet the boys. Nat's phone has been blowing up for the past three hours. I swear, she and Steve can't be apart for five minutes. Do you wanna come?" Jane rambled.

"To the beach?" I questioned.

"The beach," Jane clarified. "I know, it may be a bit cold, but it sure beats being shut in the library all day."

She had a point. "Can I bring my book?"