23. Jemma

After watching Paper Towns, Les Misérables, and Tangled, Beatrix still hadn't left my room.

"Okay. Bea has been in there for six and a half hours. She's slept through dinner. Actually, we haven't eaten yet. Its almost nine. Why haven't we eaten yet?" Peter babbled.

"I ordered Chinese food a while ago," I said, checking my phone. "Somebody named T. Stark canceled our order. How did Tony even know that we got Chinese food?"

"I don't know. He has people for that. I want to know why he canceled our order," Peter wondered. Then a knock came at the door. "I think we're about to find out."

I hopped over to the door where the shortest little blonde girl that I had ever seen stood. And when I said short, she was shorter than Beatrix. When I stood barefoot and Beatrix in heels, I was a head taller than her.

"Um, can I help you?" I offered.

"Um, Tony sent me over. I'm his personal chef. He said you needed dinner while your parents were away. I'm Bonnie, by the way. And I'm 29, not 12," she introduced.

"Oh. Well, come in. What food do you have? I'm starving."

"I was just gonna wait and see what you wanted."

"Let me see what my boyfriend and his pregnant ex want. Long story. Don't ask."

Peter told me that he would be fine with whatever, so I snuck into my room to see Beatrix. She was sitting on my bed, staring at the Alice in Wonderland poster on the wall.

"Hey, what do you want for dinner? Tony sent his chef over, so you can pretty much have anything you want," I smiled.

"Hot wings, extra spicey, and peanut butter. Not in the hot wings. On the side," Beatrix ordered. "I've been craving that all day."

"Okay. I'll go tell her. Is there anything you else you need?"

"When you're done, can you come back? And being Peter. I'm ready to talk about what happened," she requested.

"Of course."

I told Bonnie about the hot wings and peanut butter, and added cheesecake with strawberries and lemonade because those were Beatrix's favorites. I also asked for her to leave a few wings plain because Peter hated anything spicey.

"Hey, Peter," I cooed as I stood by the couch, "Beatrix wants to talk to us."

"But I'm about to beat my high score on Piano Tiles," he protested.

Scoffing, I grabbed him by the ear and dragged him to my room. Peter sat on the edge of the bed facing Beatrix, and I sat in his lap.

"Um, so I told my parents everything after a lot of hormonal crying. Mom just cried the whole time because I guess that's how moms are. Dad threw a tantrum." Beatrix paused for a moment after her voice cracked to steady herself again. She started playing piano on her thigh. My guess was Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, as that was her favorite song to play on an actual piano. "Mom tried to calm him down, but you know how he is when he gets angry. Um, Mom asked me to stay at Jemma's until she could calm him down. She promised that she's not kicking me out, but she thinks that he needs some space from his 'disappointment of a daughter.' His exact words."

Beatrix breathed a few heavy breaths before just crying. Peter rushed to hug her. I know that I shouldn't have been jealous because they've known each other since they were in diapers, but it still made me uncomfortable to see my boyfriend comforting another girl.

I ran upstairs to Bea's apartment. Jane answered the door.

"Jemma. Um, come in," she offered awkwardly.

"I was hoping to bring Beatrix her horse and her cello. Maybe they could cheer her up," I suggested.

Jane disappeared for a moment before handing me a well loved stuffed horse. "Here's Charlie. I have Cassie the Third," she said pointing to the cello case by the door.

"Oh, I can carry the cello," I said.

"I need to talk to Bea. And Cassie is very particular, mostly because she's big," Jane insisted.

Okay then.