Prologue

Henry

Jemma laid as stiff as a board across my bed. We were in my room at my mom's house. Oh my gosh, I thought. This is all my fault. I let Lilith get to me, I let her get to Jemma.

The sleeping curse. The one curse that can only be broken with true love. Well, Jemma was an orphan and only ever had the one boyfriend in her life- unless you counted Jimmy Stone from the first grade, in which case, she had. She was raised by the nuns or fairies or whatever you want to call them, but Jemma was perfectly normal. Just like I was until I became the author. The pen. I could fix this! But if I did, I would be punished severely.

I sat at Jemma's bedside with my grandpa standing in the doorway. Every ounce of me wanted to help her, but how could I? I didn't... We weren't...

"Grandpa," I choked. I know what you're thinking. Grandpa= old man, but my grandpa was about thirty five. He had been trapped in a town that prevented aging for twenty eight years. Most of my family had, for that matter.

My grandpa pulled up a chair next to me and rested his hand on my shoulder the way that grandpas do. "Henry, you and I both know that you're gonna get Jemma out of this. It's what you act upon that will decide her fate." With that, Prince Charming left the room. Yeah. My grandparents were Snow White and Prince Charming. My adoptive mother and step-dad were the Evil Queen and Robin Hood. My biological mother and step-dad were the daughter of Snow and Charming and Captain Hook. My other grandpa was Rumpelstiltskin. Oh, and my great-grandfather was Peter Pan, and my biological grandma on my dad's side had an affair with Captain Hook like 400 years ago. And that's the simplified version of everything.

Slowly, I rested my hands near Jemma's side. Her stomach barely rose and sank with her breaths. It was now or never. I leaned over and pressed my lips against hers. When I broke away, nothing happened. I stood up and sat in the doorway with my feet dangling over the stairs. It should have worked. I loved Jemma with all of my heart and soul. Everything I was loved her. I cursed silently under my breath. The past seventeen years of my life- what were they? Did I waste them on something untrue? Was I a fool for believing in something so false?

Enraged, I grabbed my bow and quiver that my grandma had recently given me, and I ran into the forest. The chilly November air nipped at my exposed skin, but I was too livid to care. I began firing arrows one after another into the tree that Jemma and I had built our playhouse as children. When I got bored of that, the arrows flew into every daisy I saw. They were her favorite flower. Next were the oak leaves; she always loved their smell. When I ran out of arrows, I collected all in sight then started again until it was pitch black outside. I wandered back to the house where I slumped back to my room, but I didn't dare go inside. I hung the bow and quiver on my door handle and slept on the stairs. Yes, my room was the only thing at the top of the staircase.

After shoving my stuff away, I curled up on the top few steps and tried to sleep, but nothing I did could shake the empty feeling inside of me. I tossed and turned. I rolled and rustled. Nothing. I brought Jemma to Zelena. It was my fault that she was stuck in this curse, and its my fault that she's never going to wake.

Then the door opened.

A swirl of honey colored curls drooped over my shoulder. Cold, pale hands wrapped around my stomach. Her lips pressed against my cheek.

"I love you, Henry," Jemma whispered as she rested her head against my neck.

I turned around, pulled Jemma close, and kissed her as if it was the last thing I would ever do. Eventually... Unfortunately, we broke apart, and when we did, Jemma looked me in the eyes and asked, "What just happened?"

That, my friends, is the fun story.