35. Jemma

Painting an entire room doesn't seem that difficult until you have to tape all of the trim and around the door and window, and take off the light switch covers, and actually paint the walls. Even blasting Michael Jackson didn't soothe the unbearable ache in my shoulders from constantly moving the rollers. The only thing that made it the slightest bit bearable was Beatrix. I didn't know that she was coming to help, but she showed up a while ago and started painting.

"You really didn't have to come help. I was fine on my own," I smiled.

"On my own, pretending he's beside me," she sang.

"All alone, I walk with him 'til morning," I responded, a smile growing on my face.

"Without him," Beatrix continued, as I walked over and hugged her from behind, "I feel his arms around me."

"And when I lose my way," I smiled, spinning Beatrix around, "I close my eyes," I pulled her close, "and she has found me." Suddenly we're barely an inch part. Our noses were touching. I could smell the fruitiness of her hair.

"I thought the words were 'he has found me,'" Peter interrupted. Beatrix and I snapped out of whatever daze we were in. "Then again, I'm not the Broadway expert that the two of you are."

"You give me too much credit," she teased. "Its your Beauty here that's the real expert."

She shouldn't have said that. If she hadn't called me Beauty, Peter would have been fine. But Beatrix wasn't thinking. She was never thinking when it mattered.

"Bea, will you excuse us for a moment?" Peter's voice began to shake, his fingers curled into a fist and his knuckles turned white. "Okay, blowing off Friday movie night for Hamilton. That I understood. You had to get the tickets months in advance and it was the only night. But we had lunch plans, and when I come to see why you're not there, you're down here singing a flirty duet with my best friend."

"On My Own is not flirty. I don't know what you're talking about." I wasn't trying to prevent an argument. Well, I was, but I genuinely didn't think we were flirting.

"Jemma, if I hadn't said anything, you were going to make out with her. You had that look in your eyes. And don't tell me you don't know what I'm talking about because you give me that look all the time," Peter said, trying to steady the quiver in his voice. His hands had stopped shaking, but he was messing with his hair. It was difficult to read him. I knew something was wrong.

"Peter, I'm not cheating on you with Beatrix. I mean, I know that anyone bi or pan supposedly cheats on every partner they have," I began, "but that is a stereotype that you can kindly shove up your ass."

"Don't go putting words in my fucking mouth," Peter yelled.

I stormed to the wall furthest from him and threw myself on the floor. Not in an over dramatic Juliet way. I just forcefully sat down... In an over dramatic way.

"I didn't put words in your mouth. You made this shit up in your head. I love you, okay? Believe it or not, I don't want to hurt you. I stay monogamous per your request," I snarled.

"Oh I'm sorry that I don't want my girlfriend having sex with everyone," Peter shouted.

"Peter, calm-"

"No! I won't calm down. I won't apologise for being selfish when it comes to you. I want you to be mine, and no one else's. Is that too much to ask?"

I tried to stay calm. Every ounce of my being wanted to. I wanted to stay sain and not loose my shit. That plan didn't work.

"I really don't know who the hell is planting these stories in your head, but you are the only person that I ever have sex with. You're the only person I ever kiss for that matter. You are the only person that I've kissed in a really long time. I know that me staying faithful and never straying is such cause for you to question my loyalty to you. Yeah, that makes such perfect fucking sense," I yelled. The frustration got to me. I felt tears roll off my cheeks. I didn't want to cry, but it happened.

Peter rolled his eyes. He looked like he needed a punching bag. Or a hug. I didn't want to hope for the latter and become the former, though.

After a moment, he just left. I didn't know where he went, nor did I care. I kinda just stayed sitting under the window and cried. After a moment, Natasha walked in. She just hugged me and rubbed my back. I had never had a mother before, not really. It was new, having someone actually care when I feel like shit. I liked it. Not the feeling like shit, but having care about me. Especially since it was a Russian spy who could kill anyone that wronged me.

It took a moment for me to calm down, but when I did, Natasha said:

"Do you want to go watch Gilmore Girls? I'll even get coffee and pop tarts in the true Lorelai spirit."

"That sounds great. Thank you, Tasha."

The true Lorelai spirit would be to eat all the food in the house and order about twelve thousand dollars in take out, but Tasha had only seen a few episodes. I wasn't going to correct her.