Realization

Lane's POV:

My fingers drummed on the stirring wheel as I waited for Maria and Madi to come out of the building, idly playing the tune on the radio out on the hard rubber.

“Lane, why did you threaten him?” Alice's angelic voice asked from beside of me and I sighed.

“He hurt you.” I answered simply and at that moment I seriously wished that she knew a bit more about how a imprint worked but I wasn't about to attempt to explain it to her.

“Lane...” She began however just before I could say anything I heard the backdoor open and a voice state

“you two sound like a old married couple.”

I whirled around to see Maria sitting in the backseat, a smirk sprawled across her face.

“Zip it.” I growled, only making both of them to laugh just as I saw Madi come out of the building.

“Make me.” Maria retorted with a snicker, though I choose to ignore her stupid cheekiness and just get out of the car to greet Madi.

“How was your day?” I asked as she neared us, only to earn a pout like glare from the girl.

“That bad?” I asked as she wordlessly got into the backseat.

The ride home was quite, with Maria listening to a CD player and Madi refusing to speak.

“What happened today?” Alice asked her only to get glared at much like the one that she gave me.

“Hey, if you had a bad day don't take it out on us.” I stated, regretting it as she flinched slightly so I added “Look, we're not mad at you but we want to know what happened so that if we need to we'll help we can.”

When she didn't reply Alice elbowed me hard in the ribs.

“Ow! What the he....Heck was that for!” I demanded and she motioned toward the backseat, where Madi was sitting, slightly shaking.

Was that my fault? I wondered as I pulled up the driveway toward our house.

“Hey, it's okay....we're just worried about you.” I told her and she looked up, surprise etched across her face.

“R....really?” she whimpered and I sighed.

“yeah kid. We don't want you to be hurt or anything. Now can you tell me what's going on?” I replied as I put the car into park.

She got out without answering however as we were heading toward the house she whispered.

“We had to tell about our families today and I....Don't have a family.”

I froze when I heard this however after a few minutes I said

“what are we? Chopped liver?”

She turned to me, moist eyes shimmering in shock.

“you mean....” She began then almost knocked me down with a hug

“You're a part of this family now Madison. If you ever need anything you come to any one of us.” I stated, putting my arm around her.

I wish I could protect everyone in my pack but Madison had somehow won me over in a few short days. Was it because she reminded me so much of myself? Or was it the fact that she acted similar to my youngest sister Amelia? I wasn't sure but I did know that my family would come first before everything else...Even if I had to travel to the pits of hell to protect them.