Chapter 46: Different and the Same.

"So that thing  that attacked us before...Lane's sister. We are the same as them?" I asked, earning a sigh.

"The transformation that you have is passed through bloodlines, given to your ancestors long ago by the spirits. Those beasts that you call werewolves...They are from a different source. They are forms taken through magic because of greed, Envy, Hate, The list goes on. The only thing that can kill them is a shifter such as you." 

The great beast stated, narrowing it's eyes slightly as he noticed the confusion written across my face.

"You are still confused?"

I glanced down

"yes....I mean how could she turn into a werewolf when she is a shifter? and Wouldn't she turn into a cat where her form is a tiger?" 

I responded, earning a chuckle.

"That is the form that she chose via the dark magic." He answered calmly "They, unlike true shifters....Only can take one of two forms. Either that of a cougar or that of a wolf....Both forms, however, is disrupted and looks like something from the pits of hell."

I sat in silence for a few minutes, mulling over the multitude of questions that I had wondered since I had even found out about being a wolf.

"The alpha....What makes them different than say a Beta? What makes them have to physically hurt their mate to mark them if their mate is not an Alpha as well?"

I finally asked, earning a sigh.

"Long ago there was twelve brothers who made up the original shifters....They were given the power directly by the spirits. They were given the gift to rid the world of the creatures like that that you have faced before. However, they could not work together, being too stubborn to rely on each other's power despite not being able to fight alone. So the Spirits, displeased with this selected the brother who's heart wasn't tainted with pride, giving him more power to rule over his brothers. All Alphas are descended from his bloodline, thus why they have more power." 

The Thunder spirit answered, though before I could remind him that that was only half of the answer he spoke again.

"The marking tradition is actually so that a lower rank will never try to overthrow the power of the Alpha, as happened with the twelve originals. Six of the twelve decided to change others so that they could overthrow their youngest brother, who was alpha however, The spirits branded them themselves as a way to show that they held no power, while the Alpha had none. It is a precaution to prevent a war from breaking out once more."

You could hear the sound of the electric current sizzling as I sat there, trying to process the history lesson.

"One more question and I will leave you alone. What gives us the power to change people and not those monsters? I mean, if we are the same...But their bites are almost like venom." 

I asked after a while, watching as he transformed back into a human.

"Simple. You can not have pure water if you take that water from a muddy stream. They use dark magic in order to get their power, so their power is not only toxic to them but to others as well were as Shifters can only awaken their powers when there is a dire need for them to protect themselves, or someone else." 

He answered before adding as if reading my mind

"The monsters are the source of old werewolf folklore because they are indeed mad. There is a rage that comes over them after they transform so many times, that draws them to stay as a wolf or cat...and gives them a taste for blood and they don't discriminate on who or what they kill and unlike vampires....which is a different clan altogether, they do not stop. A vampire will usually only take enough to sustain...Not kill."

Lane looked relieved when she saw me come out, standing up and dusting the back of her pants off before turning toward me.

"You learn what you wanted?" 

she asked as she took my hand.

"Yeah, it also seems that he knew my father....also....I can see why you are afraid of him....He's huge when he transforms!"