Day Out.

The next day was Saturday So I didn't have to go to school, however as I sat there waiting on my mother to return home I recalled the wolves from the previous night. I knew I couldn't tell my mother about them or she would have a hunting party out for them.

As soon as m mother came home I decided to set out to find any trace of the creatures. Why? I have no clue because thinking back I know how foolish and dangerous that this was but now I was headed into the deep overgrowth to hunt down the large beasts.

Sticks creamed as I walked, my converse making dull thuds against the hard packed dirt trail that I had been following for the past half hour. The spring breeze blew against my face and ruffled my hair as I made my way through the trees that seemed to get thicker by the minute. How've then the sound of branches creaking caused me to freeze to my spot and glance around wildly with my heart drumming in my ears.

"Hey Alice!" a voice suddenly called and I whirled around to see Lane standing in middle of the wood, dressed in a pair of double cuffed Capri's and a black t-shirt that was roughly three sizes too big for her.

"Lane? What the heck are you doing here?" I asked and she shrugged.

"a walk. There's a waterfall a little ways back that I like to go to." she answered as she stalked over to me and gave me her smirk like smile.

"wanna go see it? Who knows? Maybe we can see some deer or something." she offered, her golden eyes flashing to me as she walked by.

"Do you wear contacts or something?" I asked and she froze before laughing softly

"no but I get that a lot. I have a strange pigment mutation, my eyes use to be brown but lightened by the time I was eleven or twelve." she explained with a shrug as she lead me on down the path.

As we walked in an almost comfortable silence she glanced at me before she asked

"What's eating you? You seem lost in thought."

I didn't know if I could ask this strange girl anything, but I swallowed my fear and asked her the one thing that had haunted my mind.

"I saw three wolves in my yard last night... but they were a lot bigger than the wolves I saw in the zoo." I admitted and she smirked.

"Like werewolves?" she asked, her tone betraying the fact that she had wanted to laugh.

"I don't know! They were just huge!" I huffed and she laughed.

"well in all the legends around here the beasts weren't a threat." she replied then added "old man Mathews loves to tell the old legends. He's the old fart that sits down at the garage all the time."

"really? There's legends?" I asked and Lane nodded.

"yeah, I've lived here most of my life and I grew up with these stories.... but enough werewolf talk... lets get to the river." she answered with a gently as she grabbed my hand, causing spark a to climb up my veins as she lead me toward the narrower trail.

Soon however I could hear the rushing of water and the roar of a waterfall. 

"pretty huh?" she asked me as we paused on the rocky banks of the river as Lane knelt down, using the water as a mirror as she fixed her shaggy hair.

"yeah.... how did you know about this place?" I managed to whisper and she shrugged.

"I explore all the time, I love being out in nature. I even camp here sometimes." Lane's voice was like liquid honey as she spoke, her tone drawing me in. However When she glanced up at me with amber eyes sparkling with a kind of mischief that I had only ever really saw in children before I instantly recalled the wolf I had saw before.

what if Lane was a werewolf?

I forced the thought from my mind just as the boyish teen splashed the crisp, cool water into me.

"Hey!" I screeched and she started laughing.

"What you gonna do about it Alice?" she demanded with a chuckle as she waded halfway out into the shallow water.

"you are so dead!" I retorted though I too was laughing as I followed her, resulting in a water fight between us.