Nightsong

I awoke in middle of the night, the moonlight dancing through my bedroom window and unto my face and as I sat up I could see three large doglike creatures loping across my front yard, one with snowy white fur that reflected the moon light and the other two a deep color that could have been possibly black or brown, though the smaller one was much lighter and had flecks of snow white etched through its muzzle and underside.

I watched as their large figures sniffed around outside my window, a strange peace settling over me as I watched them. I knew I should be frightened, I wanted to be however something about them kept me calm. The smaller tricolored one then lifted its massive head toward the sky and a deep howl rang from its mouth.

My blood ran cold as the other’s joined in however the sound did not seem threatening. No, were other’s would be running and grabbing a gun I sat as still as a stick and observed how the wolf like beasts acted. The white one lay in the dew soaked grass and the other two tumbled together on the ground, seeming like overgrown pups besides pony sized monsters.

I was glad that my mother was staying at her friends for the night because I knew that she would have already have tried to kill the magnificent creatures. However them the smaller, three toned one turned toward my window, its eyes landing right on my window. Their gold reflecting the light of the full moon that shimmered from the heavens.

My heart stopped as it stared at me, though then it turned and took off running toward the forest with the other two flanking it.

That night as I lay back onto the bed I could not help but to think back to the wolves and the howl that they had shouted out across the midnight sky.