Truth

"Alice? Are you sure that you'll be okay?" Mom asked as she put on her jacket.

"I will be fine mom, just go." I retorted and she sighed and shrugged on her jean jacket before nodding.

"are you sure?" she asked and I sighed "yes mom." before I shoved her out of the door.

I knew I had to be alone for the night in order to be able to sneak out to follow the beasts. Though I hoped that Lane was right and that I wouldn't end up being dog food. As soon as night came I heard a single long, lonesome howl fill the air and as I looked out of the window I had a pair of glowing gold eyes starring back at me and I instantly recognized the color from Lane's eyes.

"Lane?" I whispered, my voice shivering as I spoke and the great beast whined lightly, a large paw lightly pressing against the glass as the tricolored wolf motioned me outside with its massive head.

Knowing that this beast was the girl that I had seen practically break earlier today I was no longer afraid because I knew Lane wouldn't hurt me. I slowly opened the room only to have her walk directly up to me and lay down, looking over her shoulder at me expectantly.

"Do you want me to ride you?" I questioned and she snorted, rolling her amber eyes at me. As if to say "No duh dumb ass."

As I straddled her massive form I noticed how soft the fur was, almost like silk as I gripped it. Then in one tremendous leap the wolf bolted, rushing into the dark timbers at a speed that matched a racecar.

I felt my breath hitch in my throat as we ran, the night wind blowing my sandy blonde hair into my face. Feeling the wolf's muscles rippling as she ran surprised me. I couldn't believe how strong she was.

"How can you be so strong? You're scrawny as a human."

My question was met with a deep growl and a snort, though I wasn't afraid. No the growl sounded more like when she groaned at me in her human form. As soon as we got to the waterfall she stopped and sat down, causing me to fall onto the ground.

"Hey!" I called and she snorted again before rushing into the shadows of the trees, leaving me in the moonlight field near the water that seemed to glow with a ghostly shimmer as the spray bellowed up from the pressure of the falls. When Lane returned she was in a loose tanktop and a pair of shorts.

"see you were right. We were werewolves. But we aren't controlled by the moon nor are we bloodthirsty monsters." she stated as she sat down beside of me on the cold grass, leaning back onto her hands so that the moonlight bathed her face, causing her eyes to shimmer like fire.

"why didn't you just tell me?" I asked and she sighed and glanced down.

"I was afraid that you would freak out." she admitted and I glanced down.

"what exactly is a imprint?" I questioned, causing her to stiffen.

"Us otherkin have one person that we connect to at first sight. but even if a romantic relationship is the most preferable however its completely up to the other person, if they don't want a romantic relationship as long as the two remain friends it doesn't really effect the imprinter however in the cases were the other freaks out.... it destroys us."

As her words sunk in I froze, what did that mean?

"do you mean that it would kill you?" I asked and she rolled her eyes.

"no but it might cause one to try to commit suicide." came the answer and I sighed. Though one questioned burned in my mind.

"Lane, why didn't I feel threatened by you?" I asked and she sighed and glanced at me with a whimper.

"please don't freak out Alice.... please....." she began, tears once again in her amber gaze.

"you are my imprint."

I felt numb, shock keeping through my body as I heard the truth.

"Lane.... I'm straight." I whispered and she sighed and nodded.

"I understand, just let me be your friend okay? That's all I ever will ask of you." she pleaded and I felt myself shiver.

"only friends, nothing more." I retorted and she smiled slightly and nodded "thank you Alice... thank you."