A New Beginning

"What is up with Lane? I mean she's been avoiding everyone for the last few days." I asked Rune who laughed lightly.

"You mean you haven't felt how broody she has been? Jeez....whatever your mom said to her has her really pissed off!"

I froze at that, my mother?

"Where is Lane? I need to talk to her!" I demanded, earning a sigh.

"She's reverted herself onto the vampire bat of belfry....she's in the attic....Sulking." Vika retorted from where she was sitting on the floor, playing some form of board game with Madi and Donica.

"Do you know what Mom told her?" I questioned, hissing out the title though this only earned a snort from June who had been hanging upside down from the back of the couch, playing some kind of video game.

"You mean your mate didn't tell you? Let's just say your Mom's a bitch." She retorted, sighing as she paused the game and looked toward me with a sympathetic grin.

"I'm going to go talk to her....and tell Maria when she comes home from cheerleading or whatever the hell it is that she does that tonight's her turn to do the dishes."

As I made my way up the stairs only to run into Lane.

"Hey..." she sighed, running a hand through her hair.

She looked so forlorn that I didn't know rather to let her know I was annoyed at her or not.

"Hey yourself." I retorted before sighing "what's going on?"

Lane sighed then and glanced toward the floor, her hand going back to her hair as she stumbled over her words though she finally stopped and returned her gaze to me.

"Can we go talk somewhere else? I'll explain everything." She replied, her voice breaking slightly and as soon as she took my hand a wave of melancholy almost knocked me down.

"okay....let's go." I replied, earning a sigh from her as she brought my hand to her lips, pressing them against my knuckles before slowly leading me downstairs.

"Look at miss moody finally coming out of her hiding space!" Vika teased as we walked past but Lane ignored her, though she did offer Madi a smile when the child called to her.

"Alice..." she said once we were far enough out of everyone's hearing range, though this unsettled me because she very rarely called me anything but Ali anymore.

"Your mother....Knows. She has threatened to burn down this place if I continue to pursue you." She whispered.

I felt my whole body go numb then, however soon that was replaced by nothing but pure anger.

"Then we'll leave.....We can go into hiding. They'll forget about us in the next twenty years or so and then we can find a town far away from here!" I stated, earning a surprised look.

"But what about school? You're not even got one diploma yet!" She stated, causing me to laugh.

"and how many do you have five?" I retorted, earning a growl of annoyance.

"Fifteen but that don't matter!" she stated, causing me to roll my eyes.

"and why not? I have plenty of time!"

Lane glared at me then before sighing.

"alright...go get your stuff from your mothers after she goes to work. We'll leave tonight."

Darian paced across the floor as he listened to Lane's revelation, his eyes narrowing toward me as he contemplated what to do.

"Alice...Go get your things....everything that you can, Sarah will take you in Danny's truck. I'll call Patrick Allen and have him get us a truck ready."

"I'll go with her...Just in case!" Lane stated, suddenly at my side.

This earned a nod from the other two.

I was relieved when we got to my former house and found that mom was gone, although Lane said it could be a trap and began to rush about, cramming things into bags.

"your mother forbid us to talk in the wolf's tongue because she viewed it as the language of demons. Your father and she were planning on separating before you were born." Lane explained to me during her rush though she stopped and added "That's why I've been avoiding you, I'm sorry."

I only nodded as Sarah glanced over at us before taking another bag toward the truck.

When we returned I was surprised to see Mr. Allen standing in our driveway.

"Everything's set....Astra and Carson will fly you out to my island until it's safe for you to come back." He stated, turning toward me with a grin.

"Didn't think I'd see an Alpha that was as soft as you or your father.....See you later Alice."

Madi slept the whole flight there, holding onto the toy rabbit that Lane had bought for her.

"Allan said that he'll have accounts set up on every online store and have it delivered to his place so that Marsala can bring it here.....She can teleport things over." Lane stated, glancing out the window at the fleeting lights of our small town.

"Where are we going?" I asked after a while, earning a laugh from her.

"an very large tropical island. It's hidden by one of Marsala's spells and is a safe haven. Though I warn you....The Toucans are assholes."

I laughed at that as Danny came down the aisle in his cat form before he jumped up onto the empty seat by us and curling up into a tight ball.

"I'm going to laugh when we hit turbulence and you crash to the floor." Vika teased from where she sat nearby, a cup of red sludge—which I assumed was blood—in hand.

Danny just hissed before going back to sleep.

"What happened to the seer chick?" Lane asked, causing Danny to look up with a yawn.

She is staying in town until summer....Then she's coming over. Allan said that he'll send any mail from her to me on the island.

He stated telekinetically before curling back up.

"You kids can stay in the main house...Sarah and I am going to stay at the cabin." Darien announced after a while, causing Vika to laugh.

"Just like in the Amazon?" she said teasingly, earning a groan.

"Just don't drain a boa and leave it on my porch." He retorted.