Meeting the Pack

I awoke to voices echoing to my room from the kitchen, one I recognized as Lane’s.

“We’re just going to a waterfall farther back into the woods. A few of my friends are going to go fishing and I thought I’d invite Alice along since you guys are new around here.” I heard the werewolf’s voice state simply and I groaned.

“Well good luck waking her up….. I’m late for work.” Mom’s voice stated then I heard heavy steps coming up the stairs toward my room before my door flew back, revealing Lane standing there however this Lane was much different than the one I had saw last night. No, now besides the skater hair that hang in her face she had a short, messy boyish cut that revealed her round face and made her gold eyes seem to be much brighter.

“Uhm….. Hi.” She stated, running her hand through what was left of her dark brown mane that now it was sort I noticed that there was faint blonde highlights that I had missed.

“What happened to you?” I asked and she chuckled nervously, her tanned cheeks turning a light pink as she glanced down.

“Well since I joined the ball team I could play better with short hair so…..I cut it.” She answered then asked softy “Do you like it?”

I couldn’t help the flutter my heart gave when she looked at me with nervousness glimmering in the amber eyes. A look very strange to see on the face of a butch girl who was clad in loose fitting tan army style paints and black military boots.

Why do I feel like this?

 The question bounced in my head as I forced a smile on my face.

“Yeah, it’s just that I am use to you being you know…. Shaggy.” I replied and she laughed.

“Thanks, I was worried you’d think I was weird or something…. Since I look kind of like a guy.” She admitted, fiddling with the tight stretched tank top that revealed the outline of her six-pack.

“No you look like super dyke but that’s okay I guess.” I answered, though I found that my eyes danced across her perfect figure.

Why was I staring?

“Gee thanks, that makes me feel better.” She retorted with the all too familiar smirk as she rolled her eyes at my comment before she added “get up, get dressed. You wanted to learn about the truth and I will give it to you.”

I scoffed at her comment before I pushed her out of the door, causing her to lose her balance and crash onto the thick crème carpet that decorated the hall. A look of shock coming over her face though it soon broke into a grin.

“So that’s how it’s going to be? You pushing me around?” she teased, her amber eyes flashing a bit as she got up, leaning against the wall with her arms crossed over her chest. Her gaze was playful yet it intimidated me, fire rushing through my veins like ignited kerosene.

Why did I feel this way? Why was it only her that caused this to happen?