New Faces.

That night I lay awake beside of Lane, whose arm was lightly draped over me.

I felt safe against her side, however the events of the last week haunted me.

What was my mother doing right now? Was she sick? Was she at work? Did she still love me?

Tears stung at my eyes as I let my thoughts go back to my mother, who up until this point had seemed okay with people being different. But obviously that didn't stand for her daughter.

However before I could let my thoughts consume me I felt Lane turn over beside of me as her sleep deepened voice ask “What's wrong?”

I turned to face her, her golden eyes dim with concern as she caught a tear that was making its way down my face.

“Is this about your mom?” she asked softly as she sat up, pulling me up against her side.

How could something that felt so right be wrong?

“yeah, everything is just overwhelming right now.” I stated and she nodded in understanding as she wrapped her arm around my shoulders.

“I know, but it'll be okay. Who knows? She might come to her senses.” she stated, her lips pressing against my hair, causing me to forget everything for that one second.

“yeah right, if she hated it enough to hit me then she'll never change.” I stated as I buried my face into Lane's side as the tears began to come in rushes.

“hey, you never know.” she whispered, her hand making circles against my back as she spoke. Her touch seemed to set all of my nerves into a frenzy and for a moment I was lost in her scent and touch. Everything seemed to be alright when I was with her.

“what if she doesn’t?” I asked after a few minutes of attempting to calm myself down and I felt Lane sigh.

“you have us.” she replied, resting her chin against my head as we sat there with the only light in the room being the blinking numbers of the digital alarm clock that was perched on the bedside table.

I must have fallen asleep against her side because the next morning I was awoken by Danny's voice booming through the door.

“I know you two probably screwed all night but come on, we've gotta go!”

Lane groaned at my side and cursed under her breath.

“okay, go away you dick and let us get ready! And for your info we did not fuck last night!” she muttered as she began to pull drawers out of the dresser, trying to find something to wear before she tossed me a leather jacket and a red tank-top.

“that will look good on you.” she stated as she stripped down and shoved on a white oversized t-shirt and a pair of brown, baggy pants.

“you can wear whatever pants you want...just pick.” she stated as she left the room, grabbing a brush and a bottle of hair gel before heading into the bathroom.

I rolled my eyes as I picked a dark pair of jeans from the pile and began to get dressed.

After I had pulled on the clothing I noticed that Lane was standing in the doorway, her hair spiked and the scent of her cologne dancing throughout the room.

“wow, you're hot.” I stuttered, causing her to laugh.

“thanks.” she muttered, blushing as she rubbed at the back of her neck nervously as she added “you don't look too shabby yourself.”

I felt heat rise into my face as I retorted “uh thanks I think.”

she laughed at this and took my hand.