Was This My Fault?

Chris POV

Oh god.

Oh god no.

We could see the flames before we even came around the bend in the road, and I could see people scattering in panic away from the house. The cars were still parked there, pieces of the house falling all around it, another explosion ready to happen.

It was getting dark now, so the only light was from the flames shooting out the windows of the second level, the cabin blackening and curling in on itself as the flames ate away at its foundation, smoke billowing from every angle like the fires of hell were seeping out of it.

I could see some bodies sprawled through the gravel, and I felt fear sweep through my chest. We're those our guys, our family?

I lurched out of the truck before it even stopped, hearing Kuza shout at me. I ignored him, sprinting toward the house. I had to slide to a stop in the gravel, the heat so much I could barely stand to get any closer, and my mouth went dry.

My guys!

My family!

"Chris!"

I glanced over, seeing a crispy Ricky stagger to his knees from around the back of the house, Devin draped over his shoulders and slumping to the ground immediately, unable to even stand on his own. I ran to them quickly, trying to swallow the lump in my throat that was choking me; Devin was completely unconscious, and blood was covering his face, along with black soot and charred hair. Ricky was holding onto him tightly, and it looked like he'd been dragging him around by himself, and he was a small guy.

"What's happened?" I gasped, going to my knees beside them, feeling panic go wild in my chest; my heart was beating so hard it wouldnt be long until it stopped beating at this rate.

"He --- he set the house on fire," Ricky rasped, soot streaking his skin, and he looked weak. "He fucking set it on fire with us in it."

Oh god.

"Where's everyone else?" I demanded.

"Balz --- he went back for Kelsey, she got separated from us. The girls --- they're out here somewhere." he could barely talk, his voice was hoarse, and I could see his hands were badly burned despite how dark it was.

And it was so hot, I could barely stand it.

Ricky looked frightened and pale, and I had never felt such panic before in my life.

Kelsey was still in there, and Balz?

They were both trapped ---.

The house exploded.

I flinched, barely diving to the ground in time as the explosion shook everything, a whoosh of heat sweeping over my skin that singed all the hair on my body; pieces of the house flew past my vision, pieces of wood and stray cinders suddenly all I could see. The ground continued to shake for several seconds, and all I could hear was the roar of the flames as it completely took down the house, the massive structure finally caving in completely on itself with a loud boom that made my chest clench.

No.

Oh no.

I rolled onto my back, staring up at the fiery hell that had once been our home.

Ricky shuffled, shoving a piece of window off him and Devin before looking at the house, and I couldn't begin to describe his expression.

But I felt it.

Loss.

The house.... Balz and Kelsey.... Everything... Gone.

It was just gone.