We're Already in Hell

I hopped over a fallen tree, following all the destroyed undegrowth as I made my way forward.

They had definitely come through here.

I had been walking for probably an hour now, but I hadn't seen any sign of Chris, and I hoped the guys were having better luck.

I glanced up in the trees.

Honestly, I could just completely ditch the guys right now, leave them back here to fend for themselves and just go to the cabin.

I had my pack and my supplies.

I could do it.

Right?

Fuck, I couldn't do that.

I couldn't abandon those idiots, they kind of grew on me.

I froze as I heard a noise, and I clenched my fists, wishing I'd brought my bat.

I heard something crack, and I jerked around.

I watched as someone staggered toward me.

"Chris?"

He raised his head, his hand clamped over a bite wound in his arm as it bled. His bleary, bloodshot eyes met mine.

"Chris!"

I darted towards him.

"Are you okay? what happened?" I demanded.

"I got lost," he rasped. "They chased me for hours --- it was dark, one of them got me," he muttered, and I handed him a bottle of water from my pack. He lifted it to his lips, chugging.

I looked at his arm worriedly.

"Sit down," I ordered, "I'll patch it up."

He practically fell, sliding down the trunk of a tree, and I knelt, fumbling through my pack until I found some medical supplies.

I grabbed the peroxide. And poured it over his arm, wrenching a hiss out of him.

"Sorry," I muttered, cleaning it the best I could before wrapping it up.

"Is Josh okay?" Chris asked after a moment.

"Josh?"

"Uh, Balz."

So his first name was Josh?

"He's fine. He dislocated his shoulder, but that was the worst of the damage." I taped the gauze to his arm. "There, that should do it."

"Thanks," he closed his eyes, looking exhausted.

I didn't blame him.

I situated my pack, then pulled it over my shoulders. "Come on, we need to get back to the guys."

"Just... Gimme a minute," he mumbled, and I frowned. I pressed my hand against his forehead.

"You're burning up!" I muttered, seeing the sweat build on his skin.

"Chris... Are you sure you're immune?"

"Yeah," he muttered, forcing his eyes open. "I've been bit before. I always get a fever."

Odd, I didn't.

I heard a crack, and I jerked my head up, scanning the green undergrowth.

"We gotta go," I muttered, and forced him to his feet. "There's a bunch coming this way."

"Do you know where we are?" he wheezed as I slid his arm over my shoulder, despite he was like ten feet tall.

"There's a gravel road not far from here that leads back to the highway. If we can make it there, we'll have a clear shot back to the guys. Devins waiting for us at the car."