The World is Shit, But at Least We Have Each Other

"Do you see anything?" Kuza asked as I looked through the binoculars toward the rickety outpost, and I shook my head.

"Nope. Looks abandoned from the outside. There's a few cars but the grass is all grown up around them." I said, handing him the binoculars. "It might be a good place to hit up for supplies."

"Or to make camp for the night. Do you think there'd be any houses around here? We need another car; it's cramped as fuck in the backseat."

"I can scout the area real quick and see."

"You mean we," Kuza corrected, shaking his head. "Nobody goes by themselves. We can check around and see if there's some houses or cars. Shoot anything we see, living or dead."

"Roger." I sighed, rubbing my hands together so they'd stay warm; it's already starting to cool off, become chilly, and I didn't like it.

I wasn't sure what we would do for the winter, if we'd try to keep traveling or find somewhere to bunk down for a few months; obviously staying in one place wasn't exactly the safest thing to do even if you have defenses set up.

But we needed a plan, especially if the SUV broke down.

Another car was a good idea.

"Let's get the others, tell them to move forward."

"Let's wait. I wanna make sure the outpost is safe before we bring them in. If there's any deaders let's end them."

"Well alright." He had a point. I took the binoculars back, stowing them in my pack as we started down the dirt road.

The "outpost," really looked nothing more then an old rickety cabin that had tried to be a gas station, a middle-of-the-journey pit stop. You could see where the pumps had been placed, just a concrete slab now, and the windows of the building were all busted out, weeds growing up the walls.

It looked like it had been abandoned before the deaders.

"I don't know if I want to stay here," I curled my nose as I peeped through the broken windows, glancing around the dark interior. "It's more of a death trap in there then out here."

"It's better then nothing," Kuza sighed, knocking out what was left of the glass in one window. "It's not going to hurt anything, and it's better then sleeping outside."

Well.

True, I guessed.

But still.

I frowned as he crawled through the window, and I watched him the best I could despite how dark the interior was. I was relieved when he opened the front door for me, although the horrible screaming of hinges I could have done without.

I grimaced as I stepped inside.

"This was a dump even before the apocalypse."

"Yeah.... but it's our dump now." Kuza said confidently, kicking an old can across the room. "A good place to camp. We can hear anyone coming."

"You hope. Who's to say this isn't just a set up so we can be ambushed?"

"I guess we'll take our chances."

Ugh.

I gave the room another dubious frown before stepping back outside, glancing around the abandoned road. "Do we still want to scout for a house or something? More cars?"

"Might as well. Radio the others and tell them to meet us here, that we'll be back around."

"Fine."

I didn't like this place.

~~~~~~~

"Look," I murmured, keeping low to the ground. Kuza crouched beside me, both of us looking at the abandoned cars curiously. They were just parked on the edge of the road.