Motionless Makes More Sense Now

"Pull over!"

I glanced over at Chris curiously, and slammed on the brakes as I saw his nauseated expression. The tires squealed on the gravel road as we slipped to a stop, halfway down the driveway.

He wasn't about to puke in this car!

He tumbled out of the car before it completely stopped, and staggered to the woods, puking his guts out.

I sighed, pulling the emergency brake and turning off the engine.

Maybe he did get motion sick.

Motionless made more sense now.

"You okay?" I called over the roof of the car, hearing crickets chirp; it was dark outside already, and we were behind schedule time wise. We were surrounded by woods on both sides of the driveway, and it was making me nervous; this was a bad spot to stop, and I didn't like it had gotten so late already.

Ricky would be worried to death about our lateness.

Chris ignored me, and I heard him heave again with a sigh.

I stepped over to where he knelt, pulling his hair back and holding it for him as he gagged.

"It's okay," I comforted him, patting his back soothingly.

"Fuck." he rasped. "I haven't been this ---."

He was cut off as he puked again.

Yeesh.

My head raised as the SUV rolled to a stop behind us, lights shining bright in the dark.

"Chris? Kelsey?" I heard one of them call out.

"Here," I called, seeing the guys pile out of the car. "Chris got sick, everything is okay!"

"Motion sick, right?"

"I suppose."

"Fuck you guys," he wheezed, clutching his stomach, and I rubbed his back again soothingly.

"It's okay," I murmured. "Let it out."

He groaned, leaning into my side.

Poor thing.

I glanced over where the guys all gathered.

Devin stood by Kylies door, murmuring to her while Balz and Ryan took a breather, stretching their legs after being stuck in the car so long.

"We need to see if we can't find another radio to leave at the house," I heard Ryan saying. "That way we can stay in contact better. I don't like leaving Ricky by himself for so long."

"Yeah, I know. We'll have to raid a surplus store and see if we can't find some."

"Mhm. Did you hear something?"

Everyone quieted as we listened, but it was silent, so we shrugged.

"Feel better?" I asked Chris, and he shook his head.

"There's some pepto at the house. You can drink all of it as soon as we get there."

"Ah, don't baby him, Kels," Balz told me, chuckling. "This always happens to him."

Chris shuddered, but sent him a hateful look when he could.

I sighed, and pulled his arm over my shoulder. "Come on, hot stuff, let's get you home."

"Just give me a minute," he wheezed, wiping his mouth with the napkin Devin offered him sympathetically.

I sighed again, leaning patiently back on my heels, letting my gaze rove to the night sky, finding it cloudless and the stars shining brightly. This would have been a great night to go camping, or swimming, or basically do anything outdoorsy; this was my favorite time of year.

And It was pretty.

Devin stepped to Balz and Ryans side, murmuring softly as we all waited for Chris to get his bearings, Balz still grumbling.

It wasn't his fault that he got sick, they really shouldn't be so hard on him; you couldn't help motion sickness.

"Sorry," Chris mumbled after a moment, embarrassed as he listened to them bitch.

"It's okay, you can't help it. I drove too fast around the curves."

"I hate getting sick; this is why I don't drink."

I chuckled, rubbing his back again; it was a habit for me.

Felicia, my sister, had been the party girl of the family, and there were so many Sunday mornings spent holding her hair as she puked over the toilet; rubbing her back always made her feel better, so maybe it would Chris.

"Are you better yet?" I heard Ryan ask in annoyance.

"Yeah," Chris said after a moment, still looking questionable; he shouldn't push himself. "I can go."

"Then let's go already!"

I glanced at the guys scoldingly, but then my eyes widened.

"Move!" I screeched, but I was too late.

The deaders teeth sunk into his arm.