Are You Going to Shoot Someone or Not?

"Davion!" Maria practically screamed when Chris and I made it back to the camp, looking ready to pass out at any moment. Everyone rushed forward, lifting Davion up, quickly laying his unconscious form down.

I wasn't sure when he passed out, but it was probably for the best.

"What happened?" Maria demanded, kneeling beside him in the underbrush, Travis hovering behind her.

"He got shot, the soldiers were firing at everything when the deaders got too much," I said, looking for Ricky. He was leaned up against one of the trees, his leg sprawled out in front of him. The glass was missing, and I could see Kera was bandaging the wound, the wrap already starting to turn red.

This plan had really gone to shit.

But hey, no one had died yet, so that was a plus.

"We need to get moving, the deaders are gonna cover us up soon," I said, already moving forward, most of the camp already packed up. We had our SUV we had to get too, and Maria and her guys had their own transportation.

I just wasnt sure if we were all heading in the same direction or not.

"Where's Ryan?" I demanded, glancing around for him.

"He went to get your car," Travis said, holding tight to the gun in his hand, looking a bit worse for wear; it looked like he'd run through some briers. "Tom went for ours. We're gone as soon as they get here."

"Davion," Maria was trying to talk to her son, rouse him, but it wouldn't help.

"I wrapped him up but I didn't know what else to do," I hesitated, seeing the wrap on his shoulder was soaked. "I think the bullet went through but I'm not sure."

Travis stared at Davion, but didn't respond, just turned away.

Yeah, I figured he was a goner too.

"Kels."

I turned, seeing Chris was close to me, his eyes on my face. I gave him a half smile, taking the smallest moment to relax, to breathe.

I got him back.

Fuck those guys, I got him back.

I reached for his hand, squeezing,

That's all that mattered.

And now we needed to move.

"Help get shit packed," I told him, letting go as I took a step back. "I'm gonna run and check on Ryan, I'll be back as soon as I can. Everyone needs to be ready to leave as soon as the cars are here! And watch for deaders, they're already heading this way!" I called to everyone, seeing their frantic movements.

I heard Chris call after me, but I didn't have time, I had to keep moving. I took off for the woods, not even bothering to keep quiet as I tore through the underbrush, trying not to fall or stumble.

If Ryan didn't hurry we were all dead. I tried to push back the worry about leaving Chris, but with the group he should be okay.

I could hear something, so I changed my course, heading for the road I could just see through the branches. I staggered towards the pavement, squinting against the sun.

There!

The SUV was hurtling in my direction, and I waved my arms quickly, trying to get Ryans attention.  The car slowed, and I heard the brakes squeal unhappily as he forced it to stop.

I sprinted around, jerking the passenger door open and crawling inside.

"We have to hurry!" I huffed, winded. Ryan stared at me a moment, then pressed on the gas, nodding.