Thoughts of a Madman

So she hadn't gone. But still, she should've known better than to make him worry like that. He'd panicked, and seriously considered that she'd left.

Seeing her on the bed, acting so casually, like she'd done nothing wrong... That broke something inside of him.

Perhaps it hadn't been intentional, but she had made him think she'd left. That required punishment.

That was the last thought in his head before he let the anger and pain welling within him to take over. He couldn't say what happened next, only that he recalled screams and heard his name repeated over and over.

When he woke, it was with the word 'mine' on his lips.

He was lying in her bed, arms wrapped tightly around her stiff figure. He realised there was something odd about it, and then saw the chains were back on her wrists. Had he put them there? He couldn't recall. He almost reached up to free her, but he didn't want the chance to wake her up. She lay facing away, but he still gazed upon her for a little while, captivated.

I love you.

He whispered it to the darkness and stroked her hair gently. Her head shifted as she moved it on the pillow, but that was all. He kissed the back of her hair softly, thinking of how lucky he was, and then closed his eyes to sleep again.

When morning came, they'd wake together. She'd forgive him for falling asleep at the table and fretting when he woke, and they'd be able to laugh over it.
When morning came, everything would be better.

When morning came, he'd be able to see her smile again...