Thoughts of a Finished Man

Panic filled him; the door was open. Not just unlocked, but slammed open, broken and unusable. She'd escaped. Maybe on her own, or maybe she had been helped by someone else, it didn't matter. The door was open.

Part of him knew he should take it slowly, but he couldn't help charging down the stairs as quickly as he could. He almost fell, but put a hand against the wall to steady himself, and managed to keep on descending. The door at the bottom of the stairs had also been broken down, and the room beyond was dark and quiet. She probably wasn't there, but he had to see it for himself.

When he half staggered into the room, he tried to stop, though momentum kept on carrying him forward. He stopped halfway to the cell door, and there she was. She stood back from the door, her hands clasped together in front of her, silver chains dangling from her wrists.

There was absolutely no colour on her face, terror had leeched it white. Even her lips were pale. She resembled a statue, standing there so colourlessly and stiff. Silent too. Not a single noise escaped her, and it almost seemed to cast a spell on him, since he wasn't able to move either. For a long moment they both stood there, trapped beneath the others gaze. He had no idea how long exactly they stood like that, it could have been half a minute, or half an hour.

But then there was a noise behind him, her eyes filled with hope and flickered towards the door, and the spell was broken.

If only he'd brought a weapon. It wouldn't take long to reach her vulnerable form, she couldn't get far in the chains. And he'd be as gentle as possible and make it painless, if he could. Then it'd be a simple matter to follow her. No one would be able to take her then, and they'd be together permanently.

His body was a few steps ahead of his mind, and he'd already made a break for her. Ideally, it would be painless, but she'd forced him into this position. It was her fault.
She'd forgive him.

Ignoring her startled shriek, he lurched across the room towards her.

Her hands came up to protect herself, but it was useless. His own were already around her throat, gripping, squeezing, tightening. The next scream was cut off, but he could clearly see it in her eyes.
"This is your fault." He told her, his voice calm even in that situation. He heard a voice shout his name behind him, but his only reaction was to tighten his hold even more. "But I still love you." He smiled to reassure her that it would be okay.
Strange, she didn't seem to feel comforted.

"Levi!"
This time he registered his name, and annoyance crossed his features. If only this was quicker, he wouldn't have to worry about them. He considered snapping her neck right there, but before he could even do it there were two long arms reaching around him, grabbing his forearms and yanking his hands away.

He snarled and whirled on the intruder, but their grip was too tight. Still, it gave him a good look at him, and his eyes narrowed.
"Erwin." He said aloud, in a tone laced with venom. "You shouldn't be here." Then he registered the others in the room, Hanji and Mike. There was no way he could fight the three of them off for long, but that was okay. Fighting wasn't exactly what he had in mind.

"Let go of me." He pulled, though the commander's grip didn't loosen. "How the hell did you find out about us?"
At last, the man answered him, and his voice almost sounded pitying.
"There were repeated reports about you being seen around here. You had no reason to be, so of course it was suspicious. It was clear you were up to something..." The man trailed off to look around the room, though his grip didn't waver, so he wasn't exactly distracted. "I didn't want to believe it, you know. I had to see it for myself." His gaze returned to him again, harder than ever. "And now I've seen. You've gone mad."

The coldness in his eyes was fierce, and he knew then that it was over. He hated the way he looked at him, like he really was a piece of trash.
After all he'd done, this was how it was going to end?