Chapter 9.

"You ready for this?" "Yeah, I wonder if this is still her hiding spot." "I wonder if she's even home." "Maybe she's out looking for us, it's been a few weeks since we've seen her." "Maybe. Just open the door." Bucky says, and Steve lifts up the storage unit door. They walk in and cough from the dust everywhere. "It's so dark in here. And it looks like she never came back in here after she got out." Steve states, pulling out a flashlight and shining it around the room. "Bucky, look." He whispers, Bucky turns his head and looks where the flashlight is illuminating the floor. "The kit kat bars. God now I feel terrible." Bucky groans softly, walking over and picking them up. "Yeah..she just wanted to-shh!" Steve stops mid sentence and carefully looks around the room with the flashlight. "Wha-""Shh!" Steve shushes Bucky and shines his flashlight onto a corner of the room, immediately screaming at the sight of me, leaning back against the wall, still chained up, and barely breathing, I'm extremely pale, and my eyes are closed. "Oh god! Oh god no! No no no no!" Bucky and Steve run over and kneel down beside me. "Sarah!" Bucky exclaims, awaking me, my eyes open suddenly and I jump, pressing myself against the wall and shutting my eyes, which now flow over with tears. "Please don't hurt me I haven't done anything!" I beg, as a result of not drinking anything for weeks, my voice is squeaky and hoarse, and I'm terrified, not knowing who's in front of me. "Sarah it's Bucky and Steve! It's us! We aren't going to hurt you!" Steve says reassuringly, shining the flashlight on them from above so I can see them. I open my eyes and gasp. "Oh my god! Guys! Guys what's going on?! Why am I chained up?! All I remember is Steve shooting me, then I died I guess, then I woke up in this place, chained to the wall! Get me out of here please!" I plead with them, still crying and breathing hard from panic, Steve and Bucky quickly take off my chains, and I fall forwards, barely catching my self from smacking my face against the ground, just barely, my arms are extremely weak, obviously. If you went without food or water for a few weeks, you aren't exactly going to be John Cena. However, my body is exactly the way it was before, it hasn't gotten all to the bone skinny, thanks to a power I didn't know I had, and don't know how to describe.  "You don't remember anything after you blacked out?" Bucky asks me, gently placing his hands on my back steady me, I shake my head and cough. "Nothing at all." I cough out, Bucky and Steve look up at each other and then back at me. "You went insane, kept us here for weeks while you went out and..committed crimes. We were fine though! You let us have free reign of this place, and you gave us good food and clean water, we just couldn't leave." Steve tells me, immediately my mind goes to the worst possible scenario. "Did I...did I kill people?" I ask them, staring at the ground, bracing myself for the reply. Please say no. Please say no. Please say no. Please say no. "...look, it wasn't your fault, you were insane an-" "I KILLED INNOCENT PEOPLE! EVEN IF IT WASN'T TECHNICALLY MY FAULT, IT IS MY FAULT! I KILLED THEM! YOU CANT JUST WRITE IT OFF AS JUST SOME THING THAT HAPPENED BUT ITS FIND NOW, THESE WERE INNOCENT LIVES THAT I TOOK!" I scream out in anger, startling the two men, quickly I collect myself and take a deep breath. "I don't know who I am anymore! A super soldier from the forties? A nineteen year old adoptee? A murderous mental patient? An on the lam asylum escapee? Some crazy mass murderer?! Do you even remember me?!" I exclaim, looking Bucky dead in the eyes. They look confused. "Of course we remember you!" Bucky replies. Oh thank god! I was really worried that they wou-"Sarah Ledoux, nineteen years old, Candace's cradle mental asylum. We've been friends for nearly a year." He adds onto his original statement, ripping a hole into my heart in the process. They don't remember me at all. "No Nononononononononono! No! Not nearly a year, we've been friends for over eighty years." I reply, hoping that'll trigger something in their minds, so we can wrap this up and get something to eat and drink. But then again, nothing ever seems to work out for me. Bucky and Steve just kind of look at me weird, confused. "If you've been our friend for that long, how would we not remember you?" Steve asks me, obviously skeptical of my claim. "I don't look the same as I did before the serum. Yeah, they tested the serum on me too, Steve. It changed my hair color to blackish blue, eye color to green, and my body kinda slimmed down. Even though it made me super strong, and gave me my fire abilities, it made me unrecognizable to you guys, so I almost wish I didn't let them put it in me...but I can't change the past, and this is me now. You don't remember but, Bucky, one time I went to your house, after they put the serum in me, just before you left for the war, and I was knocking at your door, and when you answered it you asked me what you could do for me, I said I came over to hang out with you, and you...said you didn't know me..and when I kept insisting that you stop being silly and just let me inside, you said if I don't leave you're going to call the police. So I left. And then you two joined the army, and I cut my hair and dressed like a man so I could join too. Did you ever wonder why the girl you both were friends with for your whole lives just stopped talking to you and just dropped off the map?" I ask them, Steve stares at me for a minute, trying to work out what I just said, and Bucky, well, he already worked it all out. Slowly, he places his hand on the side of my face, moving his thumb in circles on my cheek. His watery eyes are trained on mine, I feel like he can see every aspect of my being, by just looking into my eyes. "It's actually you?" Steve asks, his voice barely anything more than a whisper. I nod, and suddenly, he jumps on top of both Bucky and I, kinda like an excited puppy. This is what I've been waiting for for a long time.