Chapter 43 : Veil of misunderstandings

Alex's POV

I collected Ananya's reports from the attendant who had come to the mansion to drop them by. I quickly opened them to see if everything was alright.
But what I saw took me by surprise. I was not ready for this. I don't think even Ananya was. But does she know? Does Mom know?

"Mom? Did you talk to the doctor today?
Did he not tell you this? I just got Ananya's report and.."

I paused as I saw Ananya and Dad standing right in front of me in the living room.

I was not expecting to see Ananya there. Has she spoken to Dad yet? What has she decided? May be it was a No and so nobody called me yet. I had so many questions but I did not know if it was the right time to speak. So I stood there like a deer in the headlights.

"Whats in the report Alex?" She questioned me.
She didn't know? How could she not know?
I couldn't speak a word and kept staring at her. I found myself tongue tied as I struggled to find words to speak.
But the awkwardness was broken by my mother.

"Oh Alex! You are home. I was just about to call you."

Call me? For what? What has happened here.
"Whats in the report Alex, tell me."
Ananya was concerned about the report. She looked worried. Oh! I scared her, may be with the surprised look on my face.

Mom and Dad on the other hand were calm. What was happening?
I gathered all my courage and mumbled something.
"Nothing Ananya. Everything is fine. I just saw that you are.."

"Lexi!! Come here honey and give Mommy a hug." Mom intervened.

Now I didn't know how to react.
A hug? May be they were trying to pacify me.
I looked at Ananya and she was all I wanted to see.

But she looked disturbed. Oh! The report.
I should tell her.
I kissed mom on the cheek and broke free from the hug.
Ananya was almost on the verge of crying. "Hey beautiful. Don't cry please. There is nothing to worry about. I just saw in the report that you are carrying twins. And I was pleasantly surprised. Thats it. Relax."

My God! I unintentionally scared her. She sat down on the couch with her hands covering her mouth and eyes still moist
"Twins!" She was flabbergasted.

"Oh you didn't know? Doctor didn't tell you?" I couldn't hold my laughter. Yay! We found about it almost together.
"No. I mean he did mention two lives. But I thought he meant me and the baby." She was all smiles with tears still rolling down.

I walked towards her and pulled her in an embrace. I was so excited for US. But suddenly I remembered, I still didn't know if there was even going to be an 'US'.

I looked at my Dad for some clue. But his lips were sealed. He was just staring at us with an amazed look.
"You knew. Didn't you?"

"Yes son. But we didn't know if Ananya would be worried or happy. We wanted her to take her decision first. She fainted this morning. And.."

"You alright there sweetheart? How are you feeling now? Have you eaten something? What did the doctor say about that? I know I should have been there?" I panicked. What happens to me when it comes to her

"No. You shouldn't have been there. You scared me Alex. What did you just do? You made it sound like there was some problem and I thought I could not evem have one thing working out for me." She playfully hit my chest but then hugged me again, tighter.
"I am so happy Alex. So happy that I haven't been this happy since days."
She exclaimed.
"I know. I thought you knew. I am sorry. I didn't know you were here." She suddenly let me go as if she remembered something. And she took a step back but avoided eye contact.
My heart sunk a little. May be she said NO.
I looked at Dad.
"I think you both need to talk. We will excuse ourselves for now."
He further called onto Mom and walked right out.