Chapter 40 : Marriage

Ananya's PoV

I don't remember coming back to the hospital room. I just remember falling asleep on the terrace. Alex might have brought me back to the hospital room.
We spent almost the entire night, just sitting there, saying nothing. Yet I knew he understood everything that was going through my mind.

I wondered if he knew what I was thinking right now. He had been quiet the entire morning. We drove to my house where we  got freshened up.
He made breakfast for the both of us while I was busy puking my stomach out. I don't think it was just the morning sickness like the doctor said. I had felt nothing like that till before that day. May be I was just too nervous to face Nathan.
"Eat well Ananya. Now you are not alone."
That was all he said the entire morning.
I had no strength to speak to him either.
The anxiety of how Nathan would react made me hide inside my shell.
The silence between Alex and me was just helping me in a way. I could spend more time thinking what exactly I need to say to Nathan.

The car stopped with a little jerk.
"Sorry. My bad."

Clearly, even Alex was nervous.
"Do you want me to come with you?"

"I don't think that will be a good idea. Nathan might just .."

"Yeah! I understand. But I am waiting here. And if there is anything, anything you need me for, just buzz me."

"Ofcourse."
Alex just removed his seat belt and bent towards my side. He placed a kiss on my forehead.

I nodded. He came out and opened the door for me.
"Take care beautiful."
He said as I got down the car.
I looked up at the building standing tall in front of me. I was sure Nathan was expecting me.

I knocked on his office door.
"Come in Ms.Donavan. I was wondering when you would show up."

"Nathan, I am sorry. But we need to talk."

"Really? After all this you think there is anything left to talk. I must say you are one tough player. You don't stop until you get everything you set your eyes on."

"Nathan, please listen to me once."
I begged to him. By this time already the dam in my eyes that was holding the tears was about to burst open.

"Ok. You have 5 mins. Tell me your story."

What! He just agreed to listen. My heart was beating fast.

"Ms.Donavan, you are wasting my time. If you have nothing to say  lets just get back to our jobs."

"No. No. Yes. Actually. Remember. No. Wait."

"Tick tock. Tick tock."

I looked at him and touched my belly once taking a deep breath. I had to do this. I had to for my baby.

"Nathan, I know you don't remember anything but what I am about to tell you is the truth.
Alex is just my best friend."

"Or so you say?!"

"No. He is infact my only best friend and only my best friend. Nothing more. I was never involved with him or anyone else since I have met you. You were angry at me because of this misunderstanding that I was cheating on you when I really wasn't. And you got drunk at the party in the Palace that night when we met your friends. You were not in a state to go home so Lisa suggesed I take you to her room at the Palace which I did."

I didn't know how to put up the next part of my story. Even the thought of that night scared the hell out of me.

"I don't have all day Ms.Donavan."

"Yes. Yes. Sorry. Ok so when I went to drop you off to her room you kind of became aggressive and started hurting me."
I was shaking.

"So you are accusing me of physical abuse?"