Chapter 11 : The slipping sand

Ananya's POV

After my mid night chat session with Nathan, I woke up late that morning. The moment i woke up I remembered the dinner invite I gave to Nathan, without asking Maa.

Without even getting fresh I hurried downstairs.
"Maa, Maa... I am sorry.I woke up late. But there is something I did that you might get angry about."

Maa was in the garden, watering plants. She smiled at me.
" I am letting this pass this time. You need to wake up early my dear. You shouldn't miss on most part of the day because you are sleeping. Look at Alex. He woke up early and left."

Oh Alex. I remembered he was here last night. He left without meeting me.
Focus. Focus.

"Maa. I am sorry but I invited Nathan home for dinner tonight. I don't know I wanted to meet him and I just invited him over. I am sorry. If you don't like it I will cancel it. But please don't be mad at me. I know I should have asked you first but it was middle of the night and ..oh God I am sorry. I realise now what I did was completely stupid."

And to pacify Maa I hugged her.
She grabbed hold of my ear and pulling it gently she dragged me inside.

" You naughty girl. What were you doing in the middle of the night? You are talking to Nathan and so waking up late.You will be punished now. Grab the vacuum cleaner and start cleaning around. Make this place spotless."

"What? So you are not angry that I invited him without asking! You are punishing me for late night chats?"

I was all smiles.
She let go off my ear and I stood there standing in front of her. Still smiling.

"Best Mom ever.!! But I am hungry.I will have my breakfast and get to job. And you will have nothing to complain about it Maam when I am done with it. By the way what will we cook for him."

"You leave that to me. Get fresh and get going."
I know dinner at such short notice was a bad idea and I could sense it would not be easy to prep up for.

It was 4 pm when we were all done with the dinner preparation and cleaning.
Maa was preparing my favourite roast chicken, fish fry, chili and spaghetti.
I had cooked an Indian dessert 'Kheer'. I wasted to cook something special for Nathan myself.

I had invited Alex over for dinner too. Initially he said No as he had some family party to attend but didn't really seem excited about Nathan coming over. I told him I was preparing Kheer in dessert he changed his plan and said he would come over too.

************************************
Nathan's POV

This was new. I had never been to any girl's house for dinner before, without even dating her first.
There was something about her that made me do such things, only for her.
I was not sure how to behave and what to say to her Mother.

I took a cab and reached her home. It was a beautiful duplex house in the NY suburbs in a peaceful neighbourhood. Her house had a beautiful lawn, neatly mowed.

I had reached a little before time. I rang the bell and when the door opened my jaw dropped to the floor. And I am not exaggerating. She was looking breath takingly beautiful. Stunning!
Her white long flowing skirt with pink lining. A matching short pink blouse that gave away a glimpse of her smooth skinned waist and a long chiffon drape with little bells at the end.
I guessed it was some Indian attire with matching jewellery and her hair just the way I like it. Her kohl lined eyes were mesmerising and glossy pink lips were inviting me towards them. I could feel a surge of electric inside my body.
She looked into my eyes smiling, blushing. I asked for her hand which she readily offered. I bowed a little and kissed her knuckles. She moved a little and I know she could feel the electric too.
" You look stunningly beautiful."

"Tell her something new Nathan. You should come in."
There he was, Alex. He came forward and put his hand around my girl's waist.
Why does Ananya tolerate him? Let it be for now, but once Ananya is mine I will never let this guy near her, ever.

I gave him a fake smile. I hander over the bouquet to Ananya and she became visibly hapy seeing them.

I entered and I saw an aged lady standing there. I assumed she was Ananya's adoptive mother, considering Ananya was Indian and her Mother not so much.

"Good evening Maam. This is for you. Finest wine from France. Hope you will like it. I am Nathan. Glad to meet you Maam."

"You indeed are a very good looking gentleman I must say. My daughter was not exaggerating afterall. Its nice to meet you young man."

Oh, so my baby has mentioned me to her mother. I looked at my girl and she stood beside Alex, looking at me and blushing.

The evening was going so well, except for the regular angry stares that Alex gave me.
This family was so genuine, like mother like daughter, pure hearted.

We discussed Ananya's college days, Mr and Mrs. Donavan's love story and many other things at dinner.

After dinner, Ananya was cleaning up the dining table and I offered to help her while she was serving desserts. This gave me a chance to have some alone time with my baby girl. Alex was talking to Mrs.Donavan while drinking wine.

When I got to the kitchen Ananya was startled and she dropped a plate. We both bent down to lift the plate and our heads banged. We rubbed our heads and our eyes locked. I held her hand in mine and with the other hand held her shoulder. There was a fear in her eyes in anticipation of what was about to happen.
I slowly brought her to her feet and slid my hand down from her shoulder to her bare waist. I could feel her shiver now.
I looked into her eyes and pulled her towards me. She kept her free hand on my chest. I broke the eye contact and my eyes moved away from her eyes to her now parted lips.
I let out a long struck breath out. A sigh left my lips.
I let go of her hand and held her beautiful face in it moving closer to her to claim her lips.
I almost kissed her when we heard glass clatter and on being startled, she pushed me away.

She moved out of the kitchen and I followed her. We saw broken pieces of glass on the floor and a stream of blood on the floor. Mrs.Donavan was also standing there astonished.

Suddenly Ananya gave out a scream and was about to fall when I caught hold of her in my arms. She fainted.

Mrs.Donavan lead me to her room while I carried her in my arms. She was clearly worried.

I laid my baby on her bed and sat beside her. I moved the strand of hair away from her face and looked at the now dull and pale face which was shinning just a while ago.

I was alone with her in the room but I wanted to ensure she is alright so i went to talk to Mrs. Donavan who was pacing in the hallway trying to call someone.
Where was Alex? I didn't see him. Was that blood his? Why did he leave like that? I was confused when I heard an angry Mrs.Donavan speak.
" Alex Luther Lexstur! You better have a good explanation for what you have done. Ananya has fainted seeing all the blood."
She took a pause, which I am guessing is when Alex spoke.
" No need to come back now. We can talk later on this. Please see to it that you go to the emergency room. You were bleeding profusely. Bye. Take care."

She sounded angry. When she turned she saw me standing there.

"Don't worry Nathan. She should be fine by morning. She gets sick seeing so much blood. She won't be up for a while. You can leave if you want to. I am sorry the evening turned out this way."

"I will wait for a while maam. I want to ensure she is fine. Is there anything you want me to help with?"
"Sure."

She left me alone with Ananya do clean up the mess.
She seemed visibly sad.

Why did Alex leave?
My mind was reeling with so many questions.

I waited for an hour and when i saw Ananya sleeping peacefully I decided to leave.
I took leave from Mrs.Donavan and she saw me off to the door.

I had called the cab.
I sat in the car and looked outside at the house one last time before i leave and that's when Mrs.Donavan's words rung a bell in my head.

"Alex Luther Lexstur... you better have a..."
And in a moment of shock I found all my answers.
I dialled a number and