Chapter 37 : The Scattered lives

Nathan's POV

We were driving to the hospital. That feeling of having Ananya sit next to me in the back seat of my car brought back a lot of memories.
But now it was different. We were sitting so close but we were still miles apart.
Throughout the ride she never once looked up. I tried to speak up a couple of times but I couldn't think of anything to say.
We walked through the corridors whem I realised I was going there empty handed.
It didn't feel right.
"Ananya, you go ahead. Tell me the room number and I will be there in sometime."

She just shook her head and murmured "401 B"

"Great. I will be back." I turned and left.

*************************
Alex's POV

"Mom, you know I love Ananya. If not her I am not going to marry anyone else. I thought I made it clear to you that day."
I raised my voice. Even when I knew Grandmaa was there in the next room possibly listening to our conversation.

"Alex. Listen to me. I know you love her. But you know she doesn't feel the same way for you. How long do you think you are going to wait for her?"
Mother was still speaking softly.

"I don't care Mom. Grandmaa is being unfair. She just cannot expect me to marry someone because she thinks it would strengthen her friendship with her bestie. I just don't care. Why are we even discussing this?"
I was frustrated. Father sat there on the sofa in the corner of the room. He looked relatively calm.
I looked at him with begging eyes.

He blinked at me with an assuring look and then got up. I was hoping he would save me from this game.
"Son. If you trust me, get engaged to Katherine today."

His words sent my anger to another level.
"Dad? You too? Does anyone even bother about me?"

"Listen to me Son. You need to believe me. I am on your side."

"Oh yeah? I can see that. How is suggesting me to get engaged in a jiffy, being on my side?"
I threw a punch of sarcasm.

He lowered his voice and spoke very close to my ears.
"Go with the flow now and I will ensure the marriage never happens. Your Grandmaa is in no mood to listen today. But I will get time and I promise I will get you out of this."
I did not want to do it. How could I?  And what about Katherine. How will she feel when engagement is called off?

"Dad. No! Please. I don't wish to be part of this game. And today? Why are you in such a hurry?"
I protested some more.

"Son. Your Grandmaa is adamant. I give you my word and if you trust me even a little, do as I say."
This time I could feel the sense of helpless authority in his voice.

I gulped my anger and frustration. Giving a last look at Mom I turned to my father and shook my head in agreement. But I wanted to make the terms very clear.

"Don't expect anything else from me after this. And this marriage will never happen."

From the corner of my eyes I could see my mother giving a deep sigh of relief and pass a week smile at me.

It all happened so quickly. I had never seen Katherine before.
She was a tall blonde, a typical high class babe reeking of poise and mannerism.

She smiled as if it costed her a fortune. It was a small family gathering in our living room. Katherine wrapped her arm around mine once the rings were exchanged. She took me by surprise. But I didn't wish to create a scene. My parents understood my discomfort and soon mother came to my rescue.
"Excuse us Katherine, will you please my dear? I need Alexander for a minute."
Katherine smiled and let go off me.
"Thanks Mother."