Chapter 29 - Lifeline

Alex's POV

For a moment I froze in my place. It can't be. She cannot leave us.
I looked at Ananya and she sat there motionless, expressionless, just like a stone. I knew anything like this would break her completely, and I cannot let that happen. I had to do something but my body wouldn't move.
I tried to get hold of myself and I immediately pressed the nurses assitance button near the bed.
A nurse rushed and and Dad came in along with her.
"Ananya, come here darling. Come aside, let the nurse check. John, get the doctor, quick."
I could see from the corner of my eye that John rushed out of the room. But my focus was still on Ananya and my feet were still locked to the ground.
There was panic in the room as doctors and nurses barged in.
I guess they were trying to revive Mrs.Donavan. The defibrillator was brought in.
But Ananya still didn't show any sign of emotions. My heart bled to see her this way.
Dad had his arm around her shoulder but I knew she had no realisation of anyone's presence around her.

'Beep beep beep...'

The beeping of the heart beat monitor broke my trance. I looked at the machine and the line was not straight anymore.
How we always wish our life to be straight without obstacles yet when in here no one wants a straight line on this machine.

Doctors checked Mrs.Donavan and her condition seemed to have now been stabilised.
I am no believer of God but that moment every cell in my body knelt in front of the God thanking him.
My eyes again searched for Ananya.
I let out a sigh of relief as she stood there in the corner of the room. My lifeline now showing tiny waves of emotions.

Doctor left the room and I followed him.
He looked a little serious. The nurses were still attending to Mrs.Donavan.

"Doctor, how is she now?"
My ears hoped to hear something good.

"Her condition is still critical. She has slipped into a coma. But i am hoping to see improvement in her condition."

"Will she ..." i couldn't complete my sentence.

"Yes. We will work towards inproving her condition. Even if not immediately but i am hoping to see improvement in coming days. Excuse me."
Doctor left me thinking.

I turned to go inside but instead came face to face with Ananya, for the first time that morning our eyes met.
But I couldn't see my Ananya in there. Without even saying a word she conveyed feeling of hurt that I inflicted on her.

She turned away as if she never knew me.

"Ananya , lets go home. You need rest too, you are unwell my dear." Dad suggested her. He looked really concerned about her.

"No. I will stay here with Maa. She may wake up and ask for me. I want to be here." She seemed determined. But I knew Dad will be able to convince her, he is good at it.

He took her hand in his and made her sit on the chair.
"Perhaps you don't know this, but Mr.Donavan and I were good friends. And I think you should know that I promised him before he died that I will always take care of you. I can't take his place, but know this my dear, I will always be there for you. Like a father."
A drop of tear rolled down her cheek and she took Dad's hand and bending her head a little, placed it on his hand.
I hated myself so much. I lost as a friend because of my selfish love.

" Dad, i will drop her to her place. You sould go home, Mom must be waiting for you." I tried hard to get that chance to be with Ananya.

"No. She is going to our place with me."
Dad declared.

"No Mr.Donavan, i don't wish to impose. I will be fine." I could see here hand was shivering, she wouldn't be fine alone I knew.
Dad was right.
"Ananya, he is right. You should go home. I will not be there anyways."
I wanted her to say something, react, express her anger. But she said nothing.
"No son. Its been long that you haven't been at home. You mother wants to see you. Come home. Get your car, i will drive Mrs.Donavan, she will be staying with us for next few days."

Ananya waited for the Doctor and after discussion and setting the time of his visits we left for home.
She will be close to me now yet so so far.
What have I done!!!?!!