Chapter 52-Friends

Start from the beginning

"Why did your mother have that blessed dagger?"

There was a brief pause before she answered. "I don't know. But yesterday, my father said that a friend gave it to mother as a present."

Alec craned his neck to look at her and tilt his head to one side in confusion. "Last I recall holy weapons were only made centuries ago, when kings and royal families existed. I doubt somebody would give up such an artifact as a gift."

"That's why I didn't believe him when he said it," Areisha said. "I didn't want to force it out of him especially since we're finally getting along again."

He opted not to pry at the last one. "Any ideas why she would have it then?" She only shook her head as her answer. He sighed and propped his elbow on one of his knees. Cradling his face on his palm, his fingers toyed with the grass. Silence fell on them both and it was filled by the sound of Emera's soft snoring and the rustling of the tree's leaves. They sat there, leaving each other to their own musings. Areisha spoke after a long while.

"Why would an Eimion and that bastard be after you?"

"The Eimion is after you too. As for that thief, I have no idea," he said. "But after seeing that he worked for that Eimion, I guess they have the same reason―whatever it is."

"Did you believe him, when he said he looked 'after us' when we were infants?"

His lips closed and trapped the words he was about to say. He shook his head, and he didn't have to turn and look to make sure she saw the gesture.

"Is Alec even your real name?" That question struck him like a lightning bolt. He found a bitter smile tugging at his lips for some reason. He released a sigh.

"My brother has been calling me Alec for as long as I can remember," he said.

"Beuen called you Cen―"

"Don't say it. Whenever I hear it I get nightmares for some reason. Don't ever call me that."

From the corner of his eye, he saw her stiffen from his cold tone. She looked away from him and plucked the small yellow daisy growing near her feet. As she plucked its petals one by one, she mumbled incoherent words under her breath.

"Do you still want to leave this place?" she asked him. His silence answered her question instead. He had been asking himself that question for a while now. So far, he hadn't come to a decision.

"Staying here isn't safe like Gael thought it would be. I'm waiting for either they decide where I go or they let me decide," he said. "Ever since I came here I was already putting the lives of the students in danger. But..."

"You don't want to leave?"

"I don't know."

Emera's yawn drew their attention to her. The Draeling's pink eyes fluttered open before she stood on the bench and stretched her body. She hopped to the grass and crawled to where Alec's triplets lay and went back to sleep next to them. Alec and Areisha smiled at the sight. The former reached out and petted each of their head, to which they gave a delighted purr.

"Nothing will change," he said. "You'll act like the headmaster didn't tell you anything."

"Do you really think I'm not capable of doing, bastard? What do you take me for?"

He faced her and smiled. "Thank you little squirrel."

Areisha abruptly stood and went to cradle Emera in her arms again. As she did so, Alec noticed the faint hue of red tainting her cheeks. It vanished though when she narrowed her eyes at him.

"I told you not to call me that!"

He couldn't stop himself and grinned while shaking his head. As a whistling sound escaped his lips, Entiny, Midnight and Leyan awoke from their brief nap.

"Hey, lovebirds!" a familiar voice called. Their attention fell on Solana who stood at the garden's wooden arched entrance. A huge smile graced her face as she waved at them. "It's lunch time. We've been waiting for you two." Behind her, Knox stood with his arms crossed and an amused smile on his face.

"Coming Lana," Alec called. He crossed the distance between him and the twins. His Draelings followed close with Areisha a few feet behind them. However, the moment they met with the twins, Solana and Knox yelled.

"Last one to reach the dorm won't get dessert!"

The twins zoomed away, and left faint clouds of dust above the cobblestone in their wake. Alec turned to Areisha with a raised brow. She only shrugged her shoulders. As they stared into each other's eyes, grins lit up their faces.

"Cheaters!" they yelled as they ran after their friends.

###

For those who PMed me and asked if I'm a boy or a girl...I'm a girl...HAHA. Alec has fixed the confusion and helped me make my new bio

Oh yeah...I have an announcement after the next chappie

Bye for now coz I got exams.