#77: He Wants You Back (Holiday Edition)

(Tumblr creds: your1dpreferences.tumblr.com )

Sal: It's Christmas Eve, and you find yourself sat on a blanket on the hill in the park, looking up at the stars and clutching a travel mug of hot chocolate between your hands, keeping your fingers warm. You sigh, looking back down at your drink and swirling it slightly - this is not a situation you expected to find yourself in, not alone anyway. You jump at the sound of dry leaves being trodden on behind you, and you twist around, hand clutching your chest in relief when you realize it's just Sal. The relief quickly vanishes though, your heart beginning to race faster and faster as you watch him approach slowly. This was the first time you'd seen him, in person at least, since the two of you had called it quits a month ago, and despite assuring your friends you were way over him, you most certainly weren't. Your gaze drift to his own travel mug he was carrying, a folded blanket draped over his forearm, and your eyes narrow.

"What are you doing here?"

He smiles weakly, the confident air that usually surrounds him gone, and instead you can sense his nerves and insecurity.

"It's tradition isn't it," he shrugs. "Christmas Eve, out here. A mug of the finest hot chocolate New York has to offer."

You turn back to face forward, managing to stifle the chuckle that threatened to escape, but not the amused grin that spread across your face. Out of the corner of your eye you notice he's come to a stop at the edge of your blanket and he gestures towards the space beside you.

"Can I...?" his voice trails off, his voice quieter again.

You nod, not sure you trust your voice. The two of you sit in silence for a long while, stiff beside each other, always making sure to keep a centimeters distance between your arms, as the two of you gaze up at the stars. This is nothing like it had been the past two years, where the two of you would be cuddled up, laughing and joking, pointing out patterns in the stars.

"How come you're here?" Sal speaks up eventually, and you look to the side to find him watching you carefully.

You blush under his gaze and shrug, "I don't really know... It just, I don't know, it felt weird not coming here. Wrong," you mumble, but it's true, you weren't sure why you'd come here.

"It's tradition," he repeats, his jokey tone back in place as he nudges your arm with his elbow gently, and you can't help but smile back at him.

You shiver slightly in the cool breeze, and Sal immediately holds out the blanket he'd brought, offering it to you, to which you nod enthusiastically. He wraps it carefully around your shoulders, before his hands pause on the material, and he speaks quietly.

"Mind if we both huddle under it? I'm getting a bit cold myself," Your head is telling you no, like it's the worst possible thing you could let happen, not when you're trying to get over him, but you nod anyway - it was his blanket after all. You shiver again, though not from coldness this time as he wraps arm tentatively around your waist, and you find yourself resting your cheek on his shoulder, everything feeling so familiar again. Your breath catches for a second when you feel his lips touch the top of your head, and you barely hear him whisper.

"I've missed you so much."

You snuggle into him a bit closer, and the arm around you tightens too.

"I've missed you too."

His other hand reaches beneath your chin, tilting it up so you're looking at him, and he stares down at you carefully.

"Could we, I mean, if you want, could we try again? I just... It was all so stupid, and i'm sorry, and I just, I want you back, if you'll have me."