Bring him home

It was finally ready. Ellen crossed her arms and looked back at the bedroom she had designed. It was breath taking, and all for her little boy. Dinosaur decals roamed the tan walls, with blades of grass neatly painted on. A toddler bed with green framing, and a safari draped across the sheets. Book shelves of children's books about dinosaurs, monsters, and jungles. A dinosaur rug on the carpet. It was everything she knew Everett wanted, and it made her heart swell.

"Ellen...god you out did yourself." Patrick commented as he stepped inside the room. Ellen turned, smiling.

"I did. I want Everett to love it here," she took a deep breath in, focusing. Patrick walked up to her and rubbed her shoulder. Day in and day out Ellen had been working on this room. She wanted it to be perfect when they brought Everett home.

"Are you ready for him?" Patrick asked quietly, kissing the side of Ellen's forehead. She leaned into his warm arms, nodding.

"Ready as I'll ever be. Patrick don't worry. He hasn't had a seizure in weeks now. He's really well improving?" Ellen stumbled a bit over her words, sighing. Everett wasn't better exactly, far from it. His motor skills were still poor- Patrick had learned that the hard way trying to play catch with him in the hospital room. Poor boy fumbled every ball, and couldn't move fast enough for him. He was trying but it just wasn't enough. He had been stable and not seizing for a few weeks, while he still got tired easily, taking up to 3 naps a day when active, it was better than before. So it was time to try home.

"He's better than he'll ever be Els. Let's go get ready to pick him up." Patrick grinned, pulling her in for a hug.  They leaned against each other, just taking deep breaths. This was it wasn't it? Her baby boy coming home finally. Ellen felt Patrick's chest move with each breath, his heart starting to race. His son would be home. His son.

"Mama?"
Ellen pulled back from Patrick to see her daughter in the doorway, looking rather sad. Instantly Ellen's heart fell, she walked over and knelt down to Stella's level.

"Hi Stells. What's up?" She asked, pushing back a stray curl. Stella wiggled for a moment before sighing. She looked at the room, scrunching her nose up.

"Stinky smell went away," Stella said, pointing at the walls. She meant the paint. The fumes had filled the house for days on end, tickling her sensitive nose. Ellen had her booked at a nanny out of the house most of the days she painted.

"Yes it has dear, are you hungry yet?" Ellen chuckled, then reached for Stella's hand to walk her to the kitchen. Stella shook her head, stopping midway through walking.

"I scared. I don't want a brother." She said, crossing her arms. Ellen turned to face her, shaking her head.

"Why not Stells?" She asked, once again crouching to her level. Stella pouted, shaking her head.

"Lily said you forget me," Stella repeated what her daycare playmate had said to her. Ellen shook her head at her daughter and hugged her tightly.

"Stella Luna. I would never forget you. I know it's tough right now. A lot of change is happening, and you don't understand it. That's normal. Listen. Everett will be the best brother. You promise me you'll treat him well. You hear me Stells?" She asked, pulling back to look into her daughters caramel eyes. She looked down and nodded. Patrick stepped in, tapping Ellen's shoulder. It was time to go. She scooped Stella up in her arms, kissing her cheeks. "Let's go get Everett, okay Stella?"

"Yes mama." Stella replied quietly into her shoulder. Ellen slid her daughter's shoes on, and shoved a coat over her before walking her out to the car.

The ride over there was anything but the peaceful idea Ellen had in mind. Her mouth grew dry, she started to sweat thinking about bringing home her son. It was a daunting idea she had taken on. He was dying. That was a sad but honest truth and she would have to deal with that. Everett was flaws. He was a challenge with his tantrums and his chronic fatigue. He couldn't process everything and respond quickly. The sharp contrast to Stella who sang in the back seat. Patrick looked over at Ellen, watching her fidget. He gently put a hand on her thigh as he pulled into the parking lot. He took a deep breath in, this was it. Suddenly everything was changing. Change had happened rapidly for him recently but this was god it was incredible. In just minutes his son would be beside Stella in his car. Stella who he'd come to take in as his own. She was bright and beautiful and Ellen loved her immensely. It made his eyes swell with unshed tears.

"Come on paddy, lets go get him." Ellen leaned over to kiss his cheek reassuringly, smiling. She knew he wouldn't say how terrified he truly was. Together the family made their way up to Everett's room where a nurse was helping pack everything.

"Paddy? Ellie?" Everett still hadn't gotten into the habit of Mom and dad yet but he was young and they didn't mind. So much time had passed he was almost four now. His head full of dark blonde curls and his blue green eyes bright. He was standing on his own, with a crutch in case he felt weak or stiff.

"Hi Everett. You ready to come home bud?" Ellen asked as she walked closer. Everett grinned, making his way towards her. His warm arms hugged her legs, his head resting on her.

"Ready." Everett replied in his soft voice. Stella watched from Patrick's arms. She smiled, wishing for the best to happen. The nurse beamed as she began wheeling Everett's luggage.

"I'll follow you to your car Ms. Pompeo, " She offered, watching Everett walk without his crutch. Patrick shook his head, setting Stella next to him.

"I can take these down. You've done so much for our son, really thank you," He assured the nurse while taking the bags. The nurse stopped him.

"Wait. I know he has his crutch for now, to hold him, you can also use a sort of cane or walker if he fits. But there may be a day when you need a wheelchair. We're providing you with one, for the future." She brought out a folded up wheelchair from a supply closet before they walked out. Everett gave the wheelchair a face, obviously he disliked it. Ellen carried it with her while her other hand held Everett's.   They were on their way and Everett was in awe with everything. He hadn't left the grounds in maybe a year. The taste of fresh air made him grin with delight.

"We're bringing our son home." Patrick said as looked over at Ellen while parking the car in the driveway. Ellen nodded, looking at Everett through her mirror. He was in for the best year of his life.