Lovely

Ellen peered around the corner of the hospital set walls, watching Patrick as he leaned against them on the phone. He had taken the call a few minutes ago, and his body language suggested it wasn't a nice call. Patrick never rose his voice, so she couldn't make out what he said, but his crossed arms told the story. Patrick hunched over, leaning into the phone, sighing constantly.

"How much longer do you think-"

"Shshh!" Ellen hushed Eric who was starting to ask for Patrick. It was an emergency call, or so Patrick believed and took it very quickly. Eric put his hand on Ellen's shoulder, giving her a look as she turned to face him. His eyes asked if it was Jill, and Ellen's heart had to believe so.

"Quit spying on me you vultures," Patrick said as he came back inside, nudging Eric with his shoulder. "My bad everyone. Twins emergency, I'm afraid. Everything's handled. I'll get back into character." He said. Ellen walked up to Patrick, looking into his eyes as makeup and wardrobe came to make sure he hadn't messed anything up.

"Twins emergency?" She asked, pushing her hair back behind her ears. Patrick shook his head, stiffening as they began to dust his scrubs.

"Ellie, not now." Patrick said roughly. Ellen backed away, sensing his mood falling rapidly. Whatever that phone call was it rained on their parade. And she hated that. The scene continued, then cut for lunch before the next scene. Ellen hugged Patrick from behind as he finished putting away prop charts in a cubby.

"El," Patrick laughed at her abrupt hugging. He turned to face her. "What is it?"

"Oh I dunno," Ellen said as she walked back and forth. "A uh twins emergency? Don't tell me, it's whatever. But lighten up if you don't or else I will bother you for the rest of the day." She threatened him. Patrick put his hands on his hips, leaning down over her. It wasn't much of a height gap, but it was enough.

"Ellen...listen. It's nothing. Jill took the boys and Talulah to see her family in New York. Something abrupt with her mom. I just wish she could have waited, so I could see them and say goodbye." Patrick revealed, wringing his hands together. Ellen tilted her head, rubbing his arm. 

"Oh. Patrick," She breathed out, feeling hurt herself. Jill could just leave like that? She could pack up the kids and go, leaving Patrick with a frantic phone call ? Patrick looked into Ellen's eyes, trying to hide the hurt he felt. "Chris is out this week, come over to my place after shift. We can hang." Ellen squeezed his arm, smiling softly before heading to the trailer to change into street clothes for a final scene. Patrick let out a breath he didn't know he was holding. He watched Ellen go, his heart sinking. Patrick had certainly wanted Jill gone for a while, and she was coming back, but she couldn't have left the children. Twin babies with just an actor father and an actress, Jill did not want Ellen taking care of them, watching them. And Talulah? She needed constant watching after school. All Patrick wanted to do was hold his little girl in his arms and read her a bedtime story.

He watched Ellen step out of the trailer, wearing a long sleeve brown top with jeans. Patrick pushed back his hair, licking his lips. The skintight shirt molded to Ellen's body, curving around her.

"See you soon," She chirped, hugging him gently. Patrick returned the hug, basking in the warmth, smell of her sweet hair, and tenderness of Ellen's small body against his. He kissed the top of her head,

"Go break a leg Ellie," Patrick teased, letting her go.  Ellen gave him as thumbs up as she left, laughing.

---------
Patrick parked outside Ellen's house, slowly getting out of the car. They hadn't spent the night at her place in ages, only due to Chris. Patrick respected their choices though, knowing that he had to stay. He knocked on the red wood door, seeing Ellen inside frantically cleaning through the window.