Plot Conflict Rising

It was hard to not stare at her lips, Patrick admitted. He sat at the table with their takeout Chinese and their scripts, aware of the fact that he hadn't looked at his script at all. Ellen was reading her monologue, her glossy pink lips staying glossy even after dinner.

"Patrick? Are you even listening to me?" She asked, reaching over to tap him.

"Oh uh oh what, my turn?" Patrick replied, pulled out of his daze. Ellen giggled, setting her script down.

"Let's stop for the night. You're tired." She suggested, getting up. Patrick flushed, poking his plate with his fork.

"I ought to head home if we're stopping rehearsing," He said, a little dejectedly. Rehearsing with Ellen was the best part of his day. Someone who would listen to him, one on one. She was always there.

"Hmm?" Ellen turned around, having slipped her purse on. She tilted her head, hearing Patrick's tone. "Oh. You don't want to go home? You in the dog house Paddy?" Her lopsided grin teased him. Patrick would normally reply to her with his hands on his hips, laughing. This time was different, he winked, standing up.

"I don't want to go home. Okay. You caught me." He spoke up, then ruffled his hair. Ellen fingered her bag gently, biting her lip as she rummaged through it.

"I wish I could stay here, warm and safe in our trailer." She mumbled, closing her eyes as she reached hard to pull out a crumpled piece of paper. It was an invite. "I forgot to give you this. Chris wants us to do a home warming party. The entire cast is invited," Ellen sighed, handing it to him. Patrick accepted, smiling.

"I'll be sure to make it. You mind if I bring Jill? She'll be my plus one." He replied. Ellen shrugged,

"No. I don't." She said, her tone suggesting otherwise. Patrick walked towards her, his hand on her shoulder.

"You don't want this party do you?" He asked, watching her eyes look down. Ellen's smile disappeared, her brows furrowed.

"I don't. You caught me. Chris thinks throwing a huge party will fix our relationship. I find it odd. I mean we've been in the house for maybe half a year. It seems untimely." She explained her doubts, pushing a strand of dark honey blonde hair back. Patrick licked his lips, debating on what to tell Ellen. It sounded as if, Chris was going to propose in front of everyone. He didn't want her to call victim to that, obviously she didn't want to marry Chris right now. His hand went from her shoulder to her hair, pushing it back.

"Ellie, I don't want to spoil anything Chris has planned but that sounds like he might propose." Patrick warned her. Ellen's jade colored eyes grew wide and she backed away from Patrick, surprised.

"Damn. Why didn't I see that? I don't...shit. I don't, I-" she stuttered, embarrassed. She certainly didn't want to marry Chris, at least not now. But a small voice in her mind reminded her of her age, if she wasn't marrying anyone now- would she ever? At 34, Ellen knew she was reaching. Patrick watched Ellen crumble into anxiety in front of him. His stomach knotted to see it. A small part of him felt jealous. He'd been married to Jill since he was young, and was only four years older than Ellen, he wished he could find love again. He had feelings for Jill, mainly when he saw how well of a mother she was. But he desperately wanted a love he could connect with. He was jealous, Patrick was jealous. Jealous that Chris felt so strongly and fought so hard to keep Ellen in love with him.

"Ellen. Hey, don't freak out." Patrick ignored his feelings for a moment, reaching out to hug Ellen who was very frazzled. She hiccuped, leaning into his chest.

"I'm, just- not sure, I'm im ready for that," Ellen mumbled, her arms squeezing his waist. Patrick stroked her hair and the small of her back. He took a deep breath.

"I don't want to meddle in it but why are you so hesitant? Hasn't Chris been trying so hard to be better? I mean he surprises you on set a lot more, brings champagne to the trailer. He brought the dogs one day. He's really making an effort to be here for you when you can't make it home to him." Patrick asked, curious. Ellen pulled back, licking her lips.

"You." She whispered, raising on her tiptoes to kiss him. It was soft and sweet, like a habit. Patrick returned the kiss, tasting her lip gloss on his lips. A knock on the trailer door broke them apart. Ellen pulled her purse up, reapplied her lip gloss, and walked out the door to Chris.

"Goodnight Patrick! See you tomorrow!" She waved, her hand intertwined with Chris's. Patrick waved back, closing the door to the trailer. He licked his lips, still tasting the gloss. He liked it, it wasn't fruity but more creamy, almost like coconut. Oh shit, well I kissed her. And I liked it. A lot. More than I do on set. She kissed me. She's doubtful about Chris. What have we done?