Bed rest

"I told you, you just have to take it easy." Patrick chuckled as he helped a very pregnant, and vey annoyed Ellen out into the car. She rolled her eyes at him, and closed her passenger door quickly.

"Bedrest? Really? Come on." She complained, buckling herself in. Patrick smirked, helping her clip the buckle over her bump.

"You are due in 10 weeks Ellen it's not uncommon. " Patrick replied as he drove them out back towards her house. For him Ellen on bed rest seemed like a good situation. She would be sleeping when she wanted not as needed, so a mini vacation despite the whole baby thing.

"I'm not broken. I was worn down, and tired. Sleeping will fix that. Not bedrest. What do we tell Shonda?" Ellen grumbled, looking at him as he stopped at a light. Patrick ran a band through his hair, sighing.

"She can just extend the hospital stay. Relax." He replied, his hand on her thigh. It was a simple gesture but Ellen responded to it every time. Her own hand clasped it, and they ride home in silence the only sound that of traffic and light radio.

---
Patrick helped Ellen inside her house and up to her bedroom. He pulled back the sheets on her bed, allowing room for her to slide inside after removing her shoes. Ellen pulled the sheets up, letting out a huge yawn. She was exhausted from the doctors appointment because it was stressful. Last time she was there and pregnant things went south. It wasn't a good reminder.

"Now. You let me know when you need something and I will help you." He kissed her forehead, smiling. This was going to work out fine.

"Hey. How was the appointment?" Chris lingered in the bedroom door, leaning against it. He had been the one to suggest it so Ellen knew he was checking in. Patrick sat on the edge of the bed, running his hand through his hair.

"Oh uh well she's on bedrest." He chuckled, rubbing Ellen's feet through the comforter. Chris rose a brow, looking at Ellen.

"So you just let them put you on bedrest?" He asked in a teasing way. Ellen laughed, pulling a book from her side table.

"Sadly I did. I had to back down for my baby." She replied. It sort of clicked for her. This baby was not hers to keep but hers to nurture. Chris nodded, spinning on his heel and leaving. Patrick's phone buzzed as soon as Ellen opened her mouth to talk again. He kept off the bed with a hushed apology while answering it.

"Patrick? This is your agent speaking. We have a situation. You should come down here." Patrick heard his agents voice and his heart sunk. He looked over at Ellen curled up in bed, her puppies next to her. She was cozy, content. But he still felt bad leaving.

"On my way...is there any particular reason?" He asked, twisting his hair.

"The press are into you and Ellen. You were caught leaving the hospital. I have five publicists thinking that you're a baby daddy. We need to nip this. I think it's time we pull your divorce papers." His agent replied. Patrick hung up. He hung up as fast as he felt his heart beating. They had been caught. She's so pregnant. This was all his fault. He chucked his phone across the counter, frustrated. Pulling his divorce papers? If she was suggesting reconciling...he stormed out of the house, angry. This was hardly the time for this to happen.
-----
Patrick arrived to his manager's office, talking a seat angrily. She looked up and shut the door before addressing him.

"Your emotions are all over this Patrick. You need to cool off. Nothing has been published. I think it's best that we suggest and move towards creating a new identity of a girlfriend or better yet not file those papers. You can cancel them. Stay married to Jill, say you're testing the waters out again and stay with Ellen. Classic-"

"Classic! You want to talk about classic romance story!" Patrick rose his voice immediately, the hair on the back of his neck on end from the electricity coursing through him. Like hell was he going to remarry Jill. Or not divorce or whatever. His agent sighed, handing him papers.

"Patrick. My job is to cover you up...and this mess you made. You impregnated your costar. That's not on me. Lower your voice please, talk to me like an adult." She argued. Patrick rolled his eyes at the papers, shaking his head.

"What is it about no that you don't understand?" He commented, growing agitated once more. She curled her lips, ready to tell him off basically.

"What is it about you being a stubborn prick and risking Ellen's safety, and security in the tabloids just to be a noble man. For fucks sake. Sign these to halt the divorce, I already called Jill and you two will have couples therapy every other Friday. Just thirty minutes. Won't kill you. Don't try to make progress."
Patrick remained silent. He had to admit. It was totally messed up. Like really. But he couldn't let tumors come out. Not when she had people like her poor father expecting a baby from Chris. No, no. He reached over, signing the papers.

"I'm not happy about this. Does this change my custody arrangement or will we keep it 50/50?" Patrick said quietly as he shoved the papers across the desk.

"Keeps it even. You two are legally separated, living in different houses but want to restart a relationship. That's all you need to know when defending. Go with your old line about why you two split. And above all Patrick. I better not see you in that delivery waiting room. You can't be there. Don't do it. I don't care if it's your baby there will be press swarming...." She warned, pointing at him. Patrick gulped, pulling at his collar.

"Excuse me?" He asked, his mind blanking. Not be in the delivery room? For his own child's birth?

"I'm trying to save your ass Patrick. No going to the hospital with Ellen. No more. Not when your baby comes. It's not your baby anyway in the eyes of everyone else." She sighed, getting up. Patrick stood as well, shaking his head.

"If I wasn't in so much deep shit I want you to know I would leave your company. You've been nothing but disrespectful to me. That child is mine thank you very much and I can legally be there before we put him into adoption. She's my best friend besides my lover. I have to be there. Chris will come too." He said going to leave. Patrick couldn't believe himself with what he just did honestly. He drove back to Ellen's house, well actually he drove to his house. Parked in the driveway. Walked to Ellen's.

There was a mini van parked out front her house and Patrick saw once he opened the door why. A couple stood hand in hand by the staircase.

"Oh you must be the father," A young Asian woman smiled, reaching out to shake Patrick's hand. "We're the Millers here to consult about adoption."

Patrick returned the handshake nervously and smiled.
"Ellen was just put on bed rest. Let's go see her." He walked them up Ellen's staircase and into the hallway. "I'm Patrick. The father, you probably know me um i'm grateful you're open to allowing us to see our son. Obviously we need boundaries but we love him, and we wish we could be there for him." Patrick rambled as they walked inside. Ellen sat up, looking the pair over.

"The millers! Oh please excuse me I should get up. I'm on bed rest, taking it easy but there's no complications don't be worried." She chirped, pulling herself off the bed. They exchanged words and spent the rest of the evening discussing their wants and needs for the future. It seemed to be a good enough fit, and they were dedicated to a life of non celebrity. Perfect, right?