93%

Phil rolled over and looked at me. "I love our 2 am talks."

"This is, like, the third time we've had a 2 am talk." I replied, continuing to stare up at my ceiling.

"And it's the best one yet."

I scoffed and rolled over, putting my back to Phil. He responded by using his legs to pull me to him. He wrapped an arm around my torso and played with the back of my hair with his other hand. "Sing me a song." He muttered.

"Go to sleep." I pleaded, keeping my eyes closed.

"I'll sing you a song, then."

"Go ahead." I whispered back.

"Wise-" Phil began, but I cut him off.

"Anything but that, please."

"How come?"

"Cause I don't want to hear that." I yawned.

"Why?"

"Literal 'nam flashbacks."

"You can't call it 'nam cause you weren't in the war."

"For the love of God, go to sleep."

"Have you ever heard of the story about the princess and the pea?" Phil asked.

"Oh my God."

"No, seriously. Like who would actually feel a pea underneath 20 something mattresses?"

"I'm feeling something underneath two pairs of pants."

"Daniel!" Phil gasped, tugging gently on a piece of my hair. "How dare you."

"Sleep." I murmured.

"Fine." Phil said.

The beautiful silence lasted a mere 5 seconds before: "Do you think flies know they're living to die in only a week?"

I groaned before answering. "I think they block out the inevitable death they will face just as all creatures do."

"Yes, but-"

"Phil, please, go to sleep."

Phil sighed. Then, "Say my name again."

"Phil?"

"Say it like I just got you a cat."

"I want a dog."

"Picky. Like I got you a dog."

"Phil."

"That was so uninspiring, now I'll never get you a dog."

"All I want is sleep."

"I'll say your name to you. I can say your name a billion times better than anyone."

"You did a good job a few days ago."

"I'm flattered."

He stopped talking for a little longer than last time, and I thought he had fallen asleep.

"According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee
should be able to fly."

"Phil!"

"Ha! So, you say it with passion when you are annoyed."

I put my palm on the back of his hand and closed my fingers over his knuckles until the tips of my fingers were touching his palm. "I love you, honestly. But the shut the hell up." I told him.

He kissed the back of my head. "Night."

"Goodnight."