5%

"Did you have to invite Phil?" Anthony asked, looking over his shoulder at color boy while our group of 5 walked downtown.

I nodded shortly, keeping my head up and my eyes straight. Phil deserved to come. "He's my friend."

"Oh yeah?" Ian asked from my other side. "Since when."

"Since I decided." I muttered, feeling someone tap my shoulder from behind. I slowed down a little, letting Ian and Anthony to catch up with PJ.

"What's up?" I asked Phil once we were away from them.

"I think I'd like to go home now."

My eyebrows furrowed. "Home? Why?"

"I'm feeling a little purple..." He tried to explain, not seeing my confused look.

"What does purple mean?"

"I- I guess it means nervous." He shrugged, sticking his hands into his pockets.

"You don't have to be nervous around them." I proclaimed, looking over at Phil. "I'm here."

"That's why I'm purple."

There was a short pause as we both lost our words. It felt strange, standing next to Phil Lester as we walked down the pavement. My friends in front of us seemed to forget we were supposed to be together. I wonder if PJ did anything to try and win his bet.

"Ever played air hockey?" I asked, trying to break the ice a little more.

"I'm not a hobbit, Dan." He taunted. I watched the corners of his mouth turn upwards.

"Then you'll do fine after I beat you." I challenged, looking down at my shoes. I saw Phil's head whip out of the corner of my eye, followed by a short pause. "You're on."

There was another pause as we ran across the checkered street before the red hand turned back to a white man.

I fixed my jacket a little before speaking again. "And my real my favorite animal is a llama."

"Llama?" Phil asked, looking back at me. I nodded in response. "Why did you say tiger?" He asked. I told him I didn't know and he gave me a warm smile. "It's alright... Did you know that a-"

"I know they can spit, Phil, if that's what you were heading for." I laughed, glancing over at him. He didn't laugh, but gave me a small smile.

There was yet another silence before Phil broke it. "Tell me something about art."

"What?" I asked.

"How do you know what to paint? What's your favorite thing to paint?" He questioned, looking at the buildings towering over us.

"5:30." I replied, clasping my hand together.

"You like to paint 5:30?"

"You didn't let me finish." I nudged him with my elbow. "At 5:30 everything is gold. It's a nice time to paint, you know?"

"5:30 in the morning or the night?" Phil asked, keeping a steady pace next to me.

"Night, of course." I laughed as if it were obvious. "I'm not a morning person."

"Me either." He agreed. We both watch Ian and Anthony laugh at something PJ must've said. They turned into a building, holding the door open for each other. PJ held the door open longer, looking back to me and Phil.