Chapter 37

My uncle witnessed the whole ordeal, and he's lost everyone in his life – his wife, sister, and now his only child, Allison. To protect us from the truth of the supernatural, he fabricates a lie for the authorities. It's difficult for us to admit that magical creatures were responsible for my cousin's death.

A Few Hours Ago:

"Both of you, look at me. Look at me. You have to remember. You guys called me first, okay?" My uncle implores, but I struggle to focus. Every time I blink, I relive the traumatic event.

"I... I called you..." Scott stammers.

"Not you. Say Mr. Argent or her dad," he corrects Scott.

"Ella, now you," Chris turns to me. I meet his gaze, but his eyes reveal nothing – no emotion.

"I called my uncle," I reply. I can't comprehend how he's coping with this. It's not healthy.

"Good, okay Scott, go," he instructs, turning back to him.

"I called her dad first," Scott says, looking back at the scene.

"What else? What happened? Come on, guys, focus," he presses us.

"There were two of them," Scott repeats what Chris told him.

I start walking away from them. I can't handle this, I think to myself.

"Stella, where are you going?" He snaps at me.

I come to a halt and slowly turn to face him. "You're kidding, right? Your daughter just died, and so did my best friend. She died in front of my eyes. I don't have the time or energy to remember these details, and I can't stand people snapping in my face. I don't know how you do it, Chris, but some of us have emotions. Some of us are human." I scream the last part and make my way to Stiles' jeep. I'm driving Isaac and Lydia to the station while Stiles goes to Kira's to formulate a plan.

I get in the car, and Lydia is the first to speak. "We'll be okay." It's funny; that's what Allison always told me. I pull the car out onto the road and start driving.

Now

"Stella, can you please come in?" I hear my name, and I look up from the ground, snapping back to reality. I walk into the sheriff's office.

I recount everything, well, at least the story my uncle told me to tell. Scott caught me up on what I missed since my outburst. It still hasn't fully sunk in that she's gone. But one thing I do know is that she didn't die in pain. I'll never forget what she said to me, "You fight for the people you love, and it shouldn't hurt when you die for them either," and her smile at the end.

"Stella... Stella," Parrish repeats my name.

"Oh, um, sorry. It all happened so quickly," I stumble, and the sheriff pats me on the back.

"Can I go?" I ask, and they both nod. I quickly get up, leave the room, and head for my car.

"Hey, Stella, wait," I hear Scott running behind me, but I keep walking. So he jumps in front of me.

"What, Scott?" I huff, crossing my arms.

"Where are you going?" He asks, scratching the back of his neck.

"I'm getting my leg checked out by Deaton; the Oni scratched me..." I don't finish the sentence; instead, tears well up in my eyes. Scott comes over and gives me a hug, his eyes glistening with tears.

"Why couldn't she stay?" I sniffle, wiping a few tears from my cheeks.

"Because she was never meant to be ours to keep," he says softly, pulling away from the hug and giving me a small smile. He takes the car keys from me. "I'll drive." He grabs my hand and leads me to the car. We both get in, and he starts the engine. There's a heavy silence, just the sound of our breaths.

Scott's POV:

I don't know how or when to tell her, but it has to be soon.

We arrive at Deaton's, I park the car, turn off the engine, and we both step out. As we walk toward the entrance, Deaton eyes us strangely but quickly masks it with a smile.

"What can I help you guys with?" He looks at me first and then at Stella.

"I need you to check my leg; an Oni scratched me with its sword," Stella says, lifting the hem of her jeans to reveal the spot. But it's gone, and she furrows her brow in confusion.

"What the heck," she mumbles. "I swear I got scratched. That's why I couldn't make it to Allison." Stella pauses for a moment.

"Ella, I believe you," I assure her, squeezing her hand.

Before Allison left, I promised her that I would protect Stella at all costs.

"Okay, but it would be better if I had some proof." She raises the hem of her jeans on the other leg.

I guess it's time to tell her.

"Stella, it's okay; that's what's supposed to happen. You're supposed to heal..." I say slowly, unsure of how she'll react.

She looks at me with a confused face. "What are you talking about?" No one said anything, not even Deaton, but I think he already knew about Stella.

She looks up at me, eyes wide. "That's not funny, Scott," she shakes her head.

I give her a serious look, and she quickly turns to Deaton to check if it's a joke, but his expression is the same.

"No. No. No. How? Why? When? What?" She bombards me with questions that I don't know how to answer.

"That's why Allison and I were talking before she left. She told me about you, but she didn't have time to explain it all. But Stella, I promise we'll figure this out together." I look deep into her eyes, which are usually bright brown but now appear darker.

"But why now? How did she know?" Stella asks as she sits down on the floor, cradling herself with her head between her knees.

"I can actually answer that. Allison was like your anchor, and now that you've lost her, you're more likely to turn. I've seen your eyes change before," Deaton tells her. She looks up at him.

I've seen her eyes change too, but I always thought it was just in my head because the color doesn't make sense.

A/N
Sorry I posted so late. But this story is NOT over ;)