Chapter 15

I was in class with Scott and Stiles, trying to pay attention to the teacher. I did zone out a few times, but I managed to grasp what we were covering.

Suddenly, someone's phone started to ring, but the teacher didn't seem too bothered by it. My attention shifted to Stiles, who was playing with his pencils, attempting to balance them on top of each other.

"Let me try," I whispered to him, taking the pencils off his desk.

I made a few attempts, and eventually, I managed to balance them successfully.

"Sweet," Stiles nodded, trying to act cool. I rolled my eyes and handed him back his pencils. Our hands brushed against each other as we exchanged them. We looked up from our hands to our eyes, and he smiled a little, his cheeks turning slightly red.

"Thanks," he said softly, his gaze then shifting to Scott.

I followed his gaze and observed Scott as well.

"What's wrong, Scott?" Stiles asked.

"Deaton... he got taken. He's going to be one of the sacrifices," Scott mumbled.

Just then, the bell rang, causing me to jump a little.

We left the classroom and headed to the vet. Stiles called his dad to meet us there. We got in the car and started driving.

"What did he say specifically?" I asked, wanting to confirm the seriousness of the situation.

"He said I was the only hope and that he was going to be taken, that I need to find him," Scott replied, looking at me through the rearview mirror.

"Well, that's really specific," Stiles chimed in.

We arrived at the vet a few minutes later, and the sheriff was already there.

"I'm sorry. Your boss's car is still here, and the back door was wide open. Scott... I need you to tell me everything," Stiles' dad told him, and Scott and Stiles exchanged a look.

Scott proceeded to tell him everything he knew, leaving out the supernatural aspects like werewolves and sacrifices.

"All right, we're doing everything we can. Right now, the best thing you can do is go back to school," Stiles' dad advised.

Once in a separate room, I couldn't help but whisper angrily, "You're going to tell me why the hell you didn't tell him about the supernatural stuff."

"Yeah, about that... he doesn't know," Stiles admitted, scratching the back of his head.

"No shit, Sherlock," I rolled my eyes.

"I have my reasons, you know. Remember how your mom reacted? She didn't look you in the eye for, like, a week," Stiles said, addressing Scott.

"And she got over it, and it actually made us closer," Scott replied.

"I don't know, dude. I mean, look at him. Come on, he's completely overwhelmed as it is," Stiles argued.

"He's overwhelmed because he has no clue what's happening. He's got people dying in his town, the town that he's supposed to protect, and it's not his fault that he doesn't know what's happening. He's gonna find out sooner or later," Scott tried to convince him.

"Yeah, but is now really the right time?" Stiles questioned.

"What if not telling him now gets someone else killed?" Scott argued.

"What if telling him gets him killed, huh? I mean, okay, look, I get that Deaton's been like a father to you. I get that, okay? But this is my... Scott, this is my actual father. I can't... I can't lose both of my parents, all right? Not both of them," Stiles said, his eyes starting to turn red, not in a werewolf sense, but like he was on the verge of tears. I looked down at our intertwined hands.