Chapter 16

Stiles and I went to Danny's room to retrieve the papers we needed from him, while Scott went to Allison's to gather more information.

We entered Danny's room quietly, trying not to disturb his sleep.

I approached Danny and gently shook him, but he remained fast asleep.

"Stella!" Stiles whisper-yelled at me.

I just shrugged, unsure of what to do next.

Stilinski began rummaging through Danny's belongings in search of the project we needed.

"Stiles? Stella? What are you doing here?" Danny asked, still keeping his eyes closed and apparently half-asleep.

Stiles looked at me with wide eyes, unsure of how to handle the situation.

"Do something," I silently mouthed to him.

"We're not doing anything, Danny. This is just a dream you're having," Stiles replied, attempting to play along. However, he didn't seem very convincing, so he went back to searching through Danny's things.

"Are you going through my stuff?" Danny questioned.

Stilinski abruptly popped up from the bedside.

"Right, but only in the dream, remember? Dream. Dreaming," Stiles stammered.

"Why would I dream about you and Stella in my room going through my stuff?" Danny inquired, clearly perplexed.

"I don't know, Danny, okay? It's your dream. Take responsibility for it. Shut up and go back to sleep," I whispered-yelled back at him, growing impatient.

Stiles eventually located some papers and approached me cautiously.

"Danny boy, it looks like we might've actually found something here," Stilinski said, showing me the papers he had found.

_____

We all regrouped, and Cora raised a valid question.

"Okay, so what does this kid's homework have to do with finding Deaton?" she inquired.

"Because it's not just homework, okay? It's a project on geomagnetic fields. They flow through the earth. They can even be affected by lunar phases, all right? Now, look at this. This is a note from Harris on Danny's proposal," Stiles explained.

"'I strongly advise you to choose another subject. The ideas here, while innovative and thoughtful, border on pseudo-science. Not suitable for class,'" I read aloud.

"Harris wasn't just a sacrifice. He knew something," Lydia murmured.

"Now, check this out. Allison's dad wasn't the only one with a map, all right? Danny had one too. Danny marked all the telluric currents, okay? Now, the weird thing about Beacon Hills is that it actually is a beacon. You wouldn't believe how much energy is flowing through the earth around this town." Stiles laid out a map on the table.

"Stiles, look, they match. All right, there are three places, right? Where they were kidnapped, and then the place where their body was found," Scott pointed to the map.

"So, maybe where he was sacrificed is somewhere in between," Scott began marking.

"Let me see that. You said there are six more bodies to be found. Deaton's one of them. He's got to be somewhere in between, right?" Stiles began marking as well.

"Stop," I interjected, grabbing Stiles' hand and moving it. "He's in the vault. He's in the same vault," I said.

We swiftly gathered all the papers and started heading towards the safe, but Cora wasn't following behind.

"Guys, hold on," I said and turned to her.

"Stella, we don't have time for food stops," Stiles huffed.

"Stilinski," I snapped, turning back to Cora.

Everyone stopped in their tracks, and I pointed at Cora.

"It's Boyd. The plan didn't work. They cut the power," Cora said shakily.

"It's just like he said," Scott muttered quietly, but I heard it.

"Go. I can save Deaton myself," Scott said, grabbing his helmet.

"What? Scott, what about us?" Stiles asked him.

"Cora can't get there fast enough without you. Go. We can save both of them," Scott declared before rushing out the door.

"All right, let's go."

____

We arrived at Derek's place and immediately confronted a complicated electrical system with an array of levers and buttons.

"Okay, what do we do?" Lydia asked, looking overwhelmed.

"We pull them. Pull all of them," I said, taking the initiative and starting to pull levers, with the others joining in. We kept at it until we had pulled just about every lever in sight, then rushed upstairs.

Derek was holding Boyd in his arms, and it was clear that Boyd was lifeless.

Cora pushed past me and ran to Boyd, tears streaming down her face as she cradled him in her arms.

I hadn't known Boyd very well, but we'd had occasional conversations. He always seemed serious, but every now and then, he'd crack a joke or two. A tear rolled down my cheek. I had never witnessed someone die right before my eyes, and the mere thought of losing someone I loved deeply left me feeling helpless. These thoughts made me cry even more, and Stiles, looking up at me, hugged me tightly, his arms running soothing circles across my back.

I looked over at Ms. Blake's nearby, wondering if it had all been worth saving her.