Chapter 36

We located Lydia in the same place where it all happened, and I called Allison to inform her of our whereabouts.

As we piled into Stiles' jeep, the atmosphere was heavy with silence. I couldn't help but notice Stiles in the rearview mirror, his eyes fixed on the road. Questions raced through my mind, but none of them carried a positive tone.

"All right, I'll say it. You look like you're dying. You're pale, thin, and you look like you're getting worse. And we're all sitting here thinking it," Isaac, never one to sugarcoat, speaks up. "When we find the other you, is he gonna look like he's getting better?" He adds, sparing me from voicing the concern.

Scott turns his worried gaze towards Stiles. "What happens if he gets hurt?"

"You mean if he dies, do I die? I don't care. Just as long as no one else dies because of me. I remember everything I did, Scott. I remember pushing that sword into you. I remember twisting it. I remember hurting Stella multiple times," Stiles shakes his head, burdened by his actions.

"It wasn't you," I remind him, turning to look at Stiles in the rearview mirror. He's already looking at me.

"Yeah, but I remember it. You guys gotta promise me. You can't let anyone else get hurt because of me." A heavy silence descends, and I lean back in my seat, gazing out the window. I've always done that since I was a child. Whenever my mom would yell at me in the car, the only way to block her out was to look outside and observe the passing houses, trees, and people. It was my way of staying calm and not letting emotions get the better of me.

We eventually arrive at the location, where Allison and Kira are already waiting for us. We all get out of the jeep and gather in our usual huddle.

"We've done this before, guys. A couple of weeks ago, we were standing around just like this and we saved Malia, remember?" Scott delivers an encouraging speech.

"I'm here to save my best friend," Allison asserts.

"I came to save my Strawberry Shortcake," I smile, recalling how I initially thought her hair was red.

"I just didn't want to do homework," Isaac shrugs.

"Stella, yell my name if you need me," Ally says, and I nod in acknowledgment.

We move towards the area, but when I glance back, I see Scott and Allison whispering to each other. I turn back, and Kira's mother, with her Onis, is waiting for us. Scott and Stiles go to find Lydia, while Kira, Allison, Isaac, and I are prepared to fend off the Onis if necessary.

"Turn around, Kira, and take your friends with you," her mother instructs.

Kira stands her ground, gaining confidence. "When I looked at the game, I realized I was playing you."

"Call them off," Allison raises her bow and arrow, and I grip the sword I found in the weapon room.

"You think you could take him alive?" She laughs at us. "You think you can save him?"

"What if we can?" I step up to her without fear.

"I tried something like it 70 years ago. Your friend is gone." The Onis brandish their swords.

"Are you sure? What if Stiles doesn't have to die? Maybe Rece didn't have to die either," Kira challenges her, drawing her sword as well.

"I see I'm no longer the Fox now, Kira. You are. But the Nogitsune is still my demon to bury," she says, and the Onis disappear into thin air.

Suddenly, Kira's mother opens her hand, revealing a firefly.

"What does that mean?" I ask, slowly lowering my sword.

"It means there is a new ownership. Now they belong to me," she says, and we all quickly turn to see Void, accompanied by four Onis.

I raise my weapon, ready for whatever is about to happen. I'm mentally prepared for this. I recall Allison's words about fighting for the people you love.

And then it all erupts. One of the Onis charges at me with his sword raised high. I swiftly raise my sword to meet his, and we clash. I put all my strength into pushing him away, but he's not finished. He quickly slashes my leg, and I collapse to the ground, blood pouring from the wound. Pain shoots through my body. As I fall, I glimpse Isaac getting attacked while Allison struggles with her arrows, which don't seem to work.

I take a deep breath, reminding myself that as long as you fight for the people you love, it shouldn't hurt.

I turn back to the Oni, expecting the worst. But to my surprise, an arrow lodges in the middle of his chest, and he drops his sword. He starts to glow, the light becoming blinding. I shield my eyes, and when I look again, he's gone, leaving no trace behind. I turn around with a smile, ready to thank Allison, but my smile fades when I see a sword impale her.

"Allison!" I scream, but as I try to get up, the pain from the gash in my leg sends me tumbling to the floor

"Allison!" I scream, but as I try to get up, the pain from the gash in my leg sends me tumbling to the floor. Scott rushes over and cradles her in his arms.

Tears stream down my face, and I find myself at a loss for words. I just sit there, staring in shock as my cousin... no, my sister, dies right in front of me. Someone gently turns my head away from the heart-wrenching scene.

"Stella, look at me," Isaac's voice is soothing as he pulls me into a comforting embrace. I continue to cry on his shoulder as the horrifying scene replays in my mind, refusing to stop. In the background, I can hear Scott repeatedly saying her name, which can only mean one thing—she's gone. And then it hits me: I never got to say goodbye. Every person who has ever left my life, I never had the chance to say those farewell words.

Determined to be by her side one last time, I turn around. Scott remains seated with her, and I struggle to my feet, wincing from my injured leg. Limping over to where she lies, I finally reach her and collapse beside her. Gently, I brush a few strands of hair from her face.

I bend down to her ear and whisper softly, "Goodbye, Ally."

A/N

R.I.P Allison Argent