Chapter 9

Young Stella

As I slowly opened my eyes, the sound of sobbing reached my ears, jolting me awake. Confusion washed over me as I realized I was in my own room at home. Startled, I swiftly jumped out of bed and made my way to the kitchen, following the source of the cries.

Upon entering the kitchen, my gaze fell upon a distressing scene. My mother stood there, her eyes red and swollen, staring intently at a box of matches and a bottle of gasoline placed on the table. It was an unsettling sight, one that sent a surge of worry coursing through my veins. Rubbing my sleepy eyes, I mustered the courage to speak up.

"Mommy," I called out softly, my voice laced with concern.

She turned around at the sound of my voice, her face etched with a mixture of surprise and sadness. Crouching down to my level, she reached out to wipe away a tear from her cheek.

"I thought I put you to bed," she whispered, her voice trembling with emotions.

My heart ached as I saw her vulnerability. It was evident that something was deeply troubling her. Trying to be brave for her sake, I mustered the strength to express what had woken me up.

"I heard crying from the kitchen and a loud bang," I managed to explain, my own tears threatening to escape. The realization that my mom was crying only intensified my sadness for her.

Her distant gaze caught my attention, and I couldn't help but wonder what turmoil was consuming her thoughts. Questions raced through my mind as I observed her, silently grappling with the unknown. What had driven her to contemplate such dangerous objects? What could have caused her to break down in tears?

Kates POV

I find myself reflecting on my relationship with Derek and how it's gradually unraveling. Regrettably, I must admit that my feelings for him were never rooted in love; I merely used him for my own personal gain. As I gaze down at Stella, I can't help but acknowledge that Derek remains oblivious to the fact that she is his child. For the past five years, I have purposefully kept him away from her.

Stella POV

My mom flashed a small smirk and said, "You know what would make me really happy? If you could help me out with something."

Excitement welled up inside me as I eagerly nodded my head. It had been a while since I had the opportunity to spend quality time with my mom. Usually, I was accompanied by a babysitter, but this time, it seemed like I was in for a special treat.

"Stella!" Lydia yelled, jolting me awake from my slumber. It was just a dream.

She glared at me, clearly annoyed. "I was about to leave you here," she said curtly.

We both hurriedly left the room and made our way to the veterinarian's office to meet Stiles and Deaton.

As we walked, my mind lingered on the fragments of my dream. It always ended abruptly, leaving me wondering about the unresolved actions. I couldn't recall what Kate and I did with the matches and gasoline, but I knew they were a dangerous combination. Every time I had that dream, I woke up with an unsettling feeling in my chest, as if I had done something terribly wrong.

Suddenly, I felt a hand shaking my shoulder. I turned to see Stiles looking at me intently.

"We're leaving, you know that, right?" he stated firmly.

Glancing around the room, I realized it was only the two of us. I nodded silently, not wanting to speak at that moment.

"Okay, then where are we heading?" he asked with a mischievous smirk.

I let out an exasperated sigh and shoved Stiles aside. "Stop trying to be a smartass," I retorted.

Stiles quickened his pace to catch up with me. "First of all, ouch. And secondly, we're going to school to see Mr. Harris," he explained.

Suddenly, I halted, causing Stilinski to come to a stop as well. "What?" he inquired, puzzled by my sudden change in behavior.

I plopped down on the ground. "I'm just going to chill here until you guys get back," I declared, lying down comfortably.

Stiles groaned and approached me, lifting me back up onto my feet. He started pushing me towards Lydia's car. "Stop whining, you baby," he scoffed.

"I wasn't whining. I was just taking a break," I retorted.

"Or quitting," he teased.

"No," I insisted.

"Yes," he persisted.

"Shut up," I rolled my eyes.

"Yes, sir," Stiles replied cheekily.

I turned slowly, shooting him a glare. He backed away and headed towards Lydia's car. I grinned triumphantly and climbed into the car after him.

Sorry for this being short to but Derek is what to stella