Chapter 19

Allison rushed Lydia to the hospital, leaving Scott, Stiles, and me to face the daunting task of informing Derek about everything that had unfolded. When Derek finally emerged from his abode, his bewildered expression was impeccable – his acting skills were certainly on point.

"Thank God. Something happened at the recital, at the school. I need to tell you before you hear it from them," Ms. Blake began, her acting prowess impressing even me.

"From who?" Derek inquired, maintaining the facade of concern.

"Scott, Stiles, and Stella – they're going to tell you things, things you won't believe. You have to trust me, okay? You trust me," she implored. I couldn't help but roll my eyes at her words.

"What is it?" Derek questioned tersely, his irritation unmistakable.

"Promise you'll listen to me," she requested.

Derek nodded begrudgingly. "I promise."

She kissed him passionately, but her abrupt halt raised suspicion. "They're already here, aren't they?" she whispered, her senses acute.

From the shadows, we began to emerge.

"So, they told you it was me? That I'm the one taking people?" Allison pretended.

"We told him you're the one killing people," I corrected her.

"Oh, that's right. Committing human sacrifices? What, cutting their throats? Yeah, I probably do it on my lunch hour. That way, I can get back to teaching high school English the rest of the day. That makes perfect sense," she continued her charade, spewing her deceitful words.

"Where's my dad?" Stiles' voice cracked, a tear trickling down his cheek. My heart ached for him.

"How should I know?" Ms. Blake retorted, her gaze shifting from us to Derek.

"Derek, tell me you don't believe this," she pleaded, attempting to sway him to her side.

Derek glanced between us and Ms. Blake, his frustration mounting. "Do you know what happened to Stiles's father?" he pressed.

"No," she replied flatly.

"Ask her why she almost killed Lydia," Scott interjected.

"Lydia Martin? I don't know anything about that," she feigned ignorance.

"What do you know?" Derek snapped, his patience dwindling.

"I know that these guys, for whatever misguided reason, are filling your head with an absurd story. And one they can't prove, by the way," she stated, casting an evil eye in our direction.

"What if we can?" Scott spoke up, producing a vial.

"What is that?" Ms. Blake asked, eyeing it warily.

"I have a feeling you know what it is, but please, Scott, enlighten her," I chimed in with a smirk.

"Don't mind if I do. My boss told me it's both a poison and a cure. Which means you can use it, and it can be used against you," Scott explained as he loosened the vial's top.

"Mistletoe?" Ms. Blake mumbled, and before she could react, Scott tossed the powder on her. She began transforming into the grotesque creature she truly was.

As her transformation halted, panic set in, and she attempted to flee. Derek, however, seized her by the throat.

"Derek, wait, wait! You need me," She wheezed.

"What are you?" Derek demanded, his grip tightening.

"The only person who can save your sister. Call Peter. Call him!" she gasped, prompting Derek to reach for his phone. But he didn't release his grip on her throat.