Chapter 28

The door flung open, and there lay Isaac on the floor.

"Isaac! He's freezing. Dad, he's like ice!" Allison screamed.

"Isaac, look at me. Isaac!" Chris tried to get his attention.

"What's happening to him?" I asked, concern evident in my voice.

"Isaac, come on. Isaac, listen. You have to turn. Look at me. You need to trigger it. Come on," Chris said as he attempted to rouse Isaac, hitting him gently to get his blood flowing.

Isaac started growling, his eyes shifting from yellow to their usual brown.

"Did you see them?" Isaac asked with wide eyes.

"Who?" Allison inquired, wrapping a blanket around him.

"There were five of them. They wore black. I couldn't... I couldn't see their faces. They were covered," Isaac began to recount the terrifying encounter.

"What do you mean, like masks?" I asked, trying to make sense of it.

"One of them... I could see his eyes. They were greenish-yellow. Like a... Like a firefly."

Uncle Chris got up and checked Allison's security system, which we each had in our own room. "Security system wasn't triggered."

"Then how did they get in?" Allison questioned her father, her expression filled with confusion.

"They didn't. It was like they came out of the shadows," Isaac said, sounding shaken but earnest. I believed him; ever since I moved here, I believed in everything supernatural.

Uncle Chris suddenly left the room, heading for the office, and Allison followed him out.

I helped Isaac up off the floor. "Um... I'm not sure. Listen, the three of you... I need you to keep this quiet for a few hours," he requested, starting to look through some papers.

"From everyone?" I asked.

"Just for 24 hours," he whispered.

"They could've killed him, Dad," Allison argued.

"But they didn't. And I think there's a reason why. I think they might have been after me," he explained simply.

Can there ever be just one day when I don't have to worry about getting killed by the supernatural?

"Just get some rest and go to school," Chris advised us.

"Isaac, you can stay with us tonight," Allison offered, holding his hand.

"No, in Stella's room," Chris specified. We all nodded.

As Chris instructed, Isaac slept on the floor in my room. We didn't say much, and I was okay with that.

+++++++

Allison and I are on good terms. We didn't need to talk; she just knew I was okay now. Allison and I have a sibling-like bond. We understand when we've messed up, when we need space, and when we're on good terms. That's just how it is between us.

The last person I have yet to talk to is Stiles. I'm not scared, but I don't know what to say.

As I walk into school, I see Scott and Stiles engaged in a hushed conversation.

"What if she's like me?" Scott whispers to Stiles.

But they abruptly stop talking and turn to look at me.

"Hey, Stella," Scott waves with a smile and then walks away.

"Okay..." I respond, puzzled by Scott's awkward behavior. "Stiles, can we talk?" I ask him. He nods, and we enter an empty classroom.