Chapter 23

After the intense events we had faced, life had settled down. Jennifer had disappeared, and we had no idea what had become of her. The twins still attended school occasionally, but we had all moved on, as if the days of battling alpha werewolves were just a distant memory. During that turbulent time, Scott had emerged as a true alpha, and we had become his pack.

I finally got my own car, which meant I didn't have to wake up on Allison's schedule anymore. I could sleep in a little longer now.

"Stella, I'm leaving," Allison yelled from the doorway.

I groaned, dragging myself out of bed. I glanced in the mirror and found my hair in disarray, with smudged mascara under my eyes from the previous night. After a quick brush of my teeth and a face wash, I decided to forgo makeup for the day and settled for putting my hair up in a messy bun.

Driving to school, it only took me 10 to 15 minutes to get there. I parked next to Allison's car and joined the group of friends walking into the school.

"Because it's happening to all three of you. Well, well, look who's no longer the crazy one," Lydia remarked with a smirk.

"Wait, what?" I asked Scott, but he seemed more engrossed in their conversation.

"We're not crazy," Allison defended.

"Hallucinating? Sleep paralysis? Yeah, you guys are fine," Lydia responded sarcastically.

"We did die and come back to life. That's gotta have some side effects, right?" Scott shrugged.

The bell rang for the first period, interrupting our discussion. Stiles concluded, "We keep an eye on each other. Okay?"

They all nodded, and Stiles added, "And Lydia, stop enjoying this so much," shaking his head as he walked away.

"What just happened?" I muttered in bewilderment.

"Oh, hey, Stella," Scott greeted me, waving. I rolled my eyes and followed him to our first class, where Stiles was also present.

"Good morning, everyone. My name is Mr. Yukimura. I'll be taking over for your previous History Teacher. My family and I moved here three weeks ago. I'm sure, by now, you all know my daughter, Kira. Or you might not since she's never actually mentioned anyone from school. Or brought a friend home for that matter," Mr. Yukimura explained.

Suddenly, someone sighed loudly and banged their head on their desk. We all turned to see a girl reacting this way.

"Either way, there she is. Now, let's begin with American History at the turn of the 20th century," he continued. Kira shyly waved at us.

After Mr. Yukimura's class, we headed to our second period.

"Maybe we need a little more time to get back to normal," Scott suggested, following Stiles to his locker.

"Yeah, try not to forget we hit the reset button on a supernatural beacon for supernatural creatures. There's a pretty good chance things are never going back to normal," Stiles chimed in.

I zoned out of their conversation and started scanning the halls of the new people. Then I turned back to Scott

"Um, Scott, your eyes are cool and all, but I don't think everyone needs to know," I whispered to him. He looked at me quizzically.

"What?" he questioned.

"Dude, your eyes. They're starting to glow," Stiles observed.

"Like right now?" Scott asked, covering his eyes.

"Yes, right now. Scott, stop. Stop it," Stiles urged.

"I can't. I can't control it," Scott admitted.

"All right, just keep your head down. Look down, come on. Keep your head down," Stiles directed.