Chapter 8: Rumination

Start from the beginning

"Whatdya want? A cup of ale or some food to fill your belly? A man came from the back and approached him. "Nows that I looks at ya, you look mighty young to have a cup to your lips," the man said laughing. "But not too young for me."

His belly shook, causing the grease spots and dirt on his clothing to become apparent to Ari. Ari tried to hide away his distaste, but it showed on his face. Cleanliness was something Nolan had always said to strive for when he was a young boy. He told him that it brought him closer to the gods, but Ari really did not believe it made a difference. However, looking at the dirty man staring at him as if he was something appetizing with dirt covering the whole of him made Ari nauseous.

"Give 'em some ale." The man threw two bronze coins on the table and continued downing his drink. His voice held the same strange accent that Auovin had. His was more subtle than Auovin's which made Ari grow even more curious.

Ari took a closer look at the man. He had long lashes and dark brown eyes with specks of gray in his irises. His light brown hair came to his shoulders. It curled and knotted around the ends though, which made Ari want to take his fingers through it and unknot it for him.

"You're impulsive," the man's dark voice said, bringing him out of his thoughts. "I suppose that comes with being so... " He looked at him and mumbled, "young."

The man's eyes cut away from him before Ari had a chance to respond. His words came so suddenly, it took him by surprise.

Ari put his hand next to his, realizing how brown he was compared to him. He was lighter than Rein and did not share the same facial features as he. The man had a much sharper nose and smaller lips. He also had eyes that seemed to cut into his very soul.

"You must learn to control that as we all have done. If not, it will make you easy prey for the older ones."

The man with the dirty shirt came and sat a cup near Ari. Ari did not bother to look at his leering eyes. It made him very uncomfortable. As if noticing, the blood demon shoved the man off and focused his attention back on Ari.

"Are you not one of them?" Ari said.

He swished around his drink with uncaring eyes. "Perhaps, but I am not one to like new things. I like older blood. Like fine wine that ages well with time."

Ari turned his head, trying to process all of what he was saying. He tried to think of how Auovin and Cyrus' blood taste, but could not really describe how it tasted. It was strange.

The man smiled, showing him a row of white teeth with two sharp fangs at each side. "You are like a curious, little puppy. It's cute."

"Cute?"

"But don't worry. I have no interest in you. Go and get your blood elsewhere." The man downed his drink and took Ari's.

"I did not approach you with that in mind," Ari mumbled.

"Is that so?"

Ari watched him drink the ale. He always hated the smell of it and did not think his kind would take to it. Apparently, he was wrong. The man was a little strange, but he did not fill him with apprehension or caution like it was with Auovin and Cyrus in the beginning.

"What is your name?" Ari said.

The man laughed.

"You're rather forward for someone so new." The man's cheeks were becoming redder and his movements clumsier.

"Forward?"

"Would you like for me to share my body with you as well?" the demon laughed. "A name is an intimate thing to share."