KISMET Chapter 18

Chapter 18

"Uurrrr," I moaned. Trying to open my eyes.

"Shannon," my mum said. "You're ok baby, you're in the hospital."

"Mum?" I said confused, my head pounding worse than a hangover and my throat was "Urrr Owww," I mumbled as I tried to swallow.

"Shhh its ok, me and your dad are here, just rest now," she said stroking my hair.

My eyes dropped as I could fight sleep no more.

Later when I stirred again Lindsay was there and burst into tears when I opened my eyes to look at her.

She hugged me tightly making me scream. "Oh I am sorry, I forgot about the..." she said trailing off.

"About the what?" I asked trying to fathom what had caused the pain. My mind was not working properly and I was getting frustrated.

I looked at my hands as my vision blurred and I notice the drip, cuts and bruises.... What the hell?

"Where am I?" I asked my head whirling as I grappled with the sheets trying to push them off me as fear gripped me. I had to get out of here.

"Hey, hey shhh, it ok," Rob said trying to hold me still.

I was terrified, tears running down my face as I panicked but didn't really know why or what I was scared of.

"Liam! Liam! Help me!" I called automatically.

"Shh, Shhh calm down... nurse!" Rob shouted.

"Liam..." I said as Rob's face came into view. "Where is my Liam?" I asked.

"He is not here Shannon," Lindsay said.

"Why am I here?" I asked realising I was in hospital. "Why isn't Liam here?" I asked sobbing so hard I was barely audible.

The nurses came in. "Calm down darling, you're safe now," one of them said.

"What do you mean safe, safe from what?" I asked my heart going like the clappers as I tried to calm down and behave rationally.

"You were attacked darling, you've been in hospital for a few days now," the nurse said.

I tried to think about what she said... "Attacked? I don't remember...." I said.

"That's normal sometimes the victim doesn't remember," she said. "Don't worry."

I spent the next few days in hospital with a broken collar bone, head injury, black eyes, amongst other things and still I couldn't remember a thing. All I knew was Liam wasn't around and no one was mentioning him and he didn't even call or send me flowers or..... I burst into tears again as I felt abandoned.

Even Liam's family neglected to visit and no one mentioned them either. I was gutted. Why was I here, alone? Why didn't they care about me anymore? Why didn't they visit or tell me what happened? And where was my man and why he wasn't here with me? Liam would never leave me like this... he would never just 'not come' see me in hospital.

When I was finally allowed to go home a few days later, Lindsay took me and I made an excuse to use the bathroom. I walked around the bedroom looking for Liam's things. They were all gone. Everything was gone. Like he had never existed.

My heart was crushed. I gasped for breath. Liam where are you, why did you leave me?... my mind screamed.

I started throwing everything out of the wardrobe looking for a sign, anything to prove he was real. His jumper I loved to wear as it smelt of him and was my comfort blanket when he worked away. Maybe that was it, maybe he was working away and couldn't be here.