"Well, aren't you lucky," she said. "Most of the nobles in Saggaran always do that. They get close to me, and then all along they want to meet Knox. They speak of his achievements then compare mine with his. They praise him, then would try to subtly insult me―I'm not dense to not notice. After the same things happened yesterday, they only proved further that they don't even acknowledge me fully as a noble anymore. "

"Why wouldn't they?"

"Most Saggarians prefer the old ways, Alec," she said. "I was engaged once―don't ask to whom because I'm not in the mood to break your face for asking. He...rejected me...and cancelled our engagement."

"I don't see why they won't acknowledge you because of that."

"When a female is rejected for marriage, her worth is lessened and would be questioned. 'If a man can't see her worth, how can an entire society?' a few say," she said. "Even when it's not the woman's fault, it happens. It's nothing but a pile of Drae's shit, I tell you!

"It's a good thing Lord Sheriun is doing his best to rid the skyland of those ridiculous beliefs for Isha's sake."

She stopped and took in large amounts of air when she realized her voice had risen by an octave. She curled and uncurled her fists as she focused on Dia and Entiny rubbing against her arms. She finally calmed at the same moment Alec beaconed her to sit next to him. When she was there, he gingerly patted her head.

"The people who compare you with your brother, are they family?" he asked. She shook her head. "Are they friends you value?" She shook her head again. He smiled and stroked her head.

"Then, why are you letting them bother you?" She raised a brow at this. "They don't know you nor are they important, so why should you care about them and their words? You should pity them for wasting their time in something as pointless as comparing people.

"Everyone is unique from birth, even twins. Hence, there will be differences and comparison is useless. You'd be surprised to know that that belief has kept me from tearing throats out of people who have spoken ill of me and my brother."

To her surprise, a bubble of laughter escaped her lips until it rang throughout the room, bouncing off the white walls. She looked up at him with a smile on her face.

"Thank you Alec," she said.

"This is nothing," he said. "I'm glad that the smile I'm used to seeing is back on your face."

"It's 'beautiful face,' Lec. Don't forget to add beautiful."

Alec ended laughing as well. His shoulders shook as he leaned back on the chair, still chuckling. She smiled when he didn't seem to mind the new nickname.

"And don't think for one second that I forgot my initial question," she paused, "which by the way, for some reason, made me start spouting all that drama!"

Alec gave her a suppressed chuckle before facing his front. He drummed his fingers against his thigh, like she'd seen him do. It was like a mannerism.

"Mr. Kreis toured me around the First Ryder Regime's base. And I've seen my first Preservene."

A scream of excitement ripped through her throat and she jumped off her seat. She whirled around and grabbed Alec's shirt collar. She continued to hop on her toes as she shook him back and forth nonstop.

"Oh my Kosmos! You have to tell me everything you've seen in there!" she yelled. "I've always wanted to visit a base! My dream is to become the greatest female Ryder of all time!"

She heard a groan come from Alec, and she stopped whatever she was doing. He looked like he was about to puke from her incessant shaking yet again. She chuckled.