Chapter Three- Invitation

"You have new friends already?" Jake asked as I waved goodbye to Aria and the guys.

I shook my head, "No, I met them today. It's not like we're friends."

Jake didn't say anything. He just nodded. I didn't exactly expect us to become friends. I feel like it was just a meet for one class thing.

"Did you call Dad?" I asked as we walked over to the bench in front of the school and sat down.

Jake nodded. "Yeah, I did. He'll be here in a few."

I stared ahead of me. Everything fell silent —all I could hear were the birds chirping and students talking. A few cars did drive by every once in a while and only then I realized how time can fly by so fast.

"Time flew by so fast, didn't it?" I swallowed harshly. I could feel Jake's intense stare.

"Ri, no..." he breathed out, knowing what I was thinking about.

He was always like that. He always knew what was on my mind. It was the main reason why I could never really lie to him. Not like I would want to anyways.

"I'm not Ri anymore, Jake." I looked at him. "I'm Tris."

He placed his hand on top of mine and gave it a squeeze. "I know, but you'll always remain my Ri, whether you like it, or not."

I sat on the window ledge as I stared at the thick raindrops that either fell on the ground, or hit the glass window

I sat on the window ledge as I stared at the thick raindrops that either fell on the ground, or hit the glass window. It was a rather dramatic sight, honestly.

My psychiatrist told me that I would have moments like these where I would think back to that terrible day. Flashes of fire, orange light, screams, all hit me in one go. What had I even done to deserve a past so horrifying? Ten years have passed and yet I feel like everything only happened yesterday.

A soft knock on my door pulled me out of my trance. I looked at Jake who was standing there with a glass of water and pills in his hands.

"It's time for your medicine," he said in a low voice.

I got down from the window ledge and slowly walked over to him. He watched me as I took the pills from his hand as well as the glass of water. I looked down at the pills.

"I don't want to, Jake. They make me feel tired." I pursed my lips.

"I know, but you have to. I don't want you to get any relapses. You know you need this," he sighed, his shoulders sagging. I took in the medicine and handed Jake the empty glass. He stared at me for a while before saying, "If you want you can sleep in my room tonight. You know, if you don't want to be alone."

I smiled. "No, I'll be fine. Besides, I'll sleep like a corpse after taking in these goddamn pills." I chuckled.

He ruffled my hair. "If you say so, pigface." he said and walked away.